Posted: Wed, 08/17/2011 - 9:00am Updated: Tue, 04/16/2013 - 10:40am
The purpose of ISTAR-KR (Indiana Standards Tool for Alternate Reporting of Kindergarten Readiness) is to measure skills in children from infancy to kindergarten. A derivative of Indiana's Early Learning Standards (which are part of the Foundations to Indiana Academic Standards), ISTAR-KR is aligned to the Indiana Standards for kindergarten in the areas of English/Language Arts and Mathematics and includes three functional areas: physical, personal care and social-emotional skills. Data from ISTAR-KR assessments are used for state reporting for PK students receiving special education. The assessment can be used for local purposes for grades PK through 1.
This web-based instrument is rated by teachers based on their ongoing observations of children engaged in typical daily routines and activities. It is available to all public schools in Indiana and to private early childhood education programs at no cost. Assessment results from ISTAR-KR can be used to determine which skills a child has mastered and to identify the skills a student needs to learn next.
ISTAR KR Assessments (print versions, September, 2012)
|English/Language Arts||Mathematics||Personal Care||Physical||Social-Emotional|
- Glossary of Assessment Terms
- Parent Instructions - Children in Special Education
- Parent Instructions - Community Early Childhood Education Programs
- ISTAR Kindergarten Readiness Matrix - English/Language Arts
- ISTAR Kindergarten Readiness Matrix - Mathematics
- Early Childhood Assessment Handbook
- Early Childhood Assessment Handbook Appendices
- ISTAR-KR Online Self-Guided Modules
- Parent Brochure
- Performance Level Descriptors
- Administrator's Guide
- IAEYC Conference 2013: Authentic Assessment: Classroom Practices
- 2012 IAEYC Preconference: ISTAR-KR
- IAEYC 2011 Spring Conference ISTAR-KR: Assessment Made Easy
- IAEYC 2011 Spring Conference ISTAR-KR: Be a Star!
- Teacher's Guide
Aggregate data comparing entrance and exit scores for children exiting preschool services are submitted annually by the state to the federal Office of Special Education Programs. Individual student assessment results of ISTAR-KR are made available to family members at specific intervals when the assessment is used to measure student progress (upon entrance, at exit, and annually on the child’s birthday). For specific results, please contact the facility that provides educational services to the child.
Sally Reed Crawford
ISTAR-Kindergarten Readiness Assessment Specialist
Office of Student Assessment
Telephone: (317) 232-9050
Toll Free: (888) 544-7837