Indiana STEM Education: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
The Indiana Department of Education has identified a great need for more rigorous and engaging STEM education and in 2012 began the development of a statewide STEM education plan. The tools and resources below have been developed to ensure schools can successfully implement a STEM education plan at the local level. It is the intent of the plan to provide resources that will enable schools to become STEM Schools. In addition, the IDOE plans to begin providing an IDOE approved STEM Certification for schools that want to be recognized as STEM with the hopes of creating a STEM school network promoting collaboration of best practices. We plan to open a pilot application period in the fall of 2014 with certifications being awarded in spring of 2015.
Indiana’s STEM Implementation Matrix
Modified from the STEM Immersion Matrix for Schools and Districts © 2012, The Immersion Guide © 2013, created by and work product of The Arizona STEM Network, led by Science Foundation of Arizona in collaboration with Maricopa County Education Service Agency.
Timeline: School Year Prior to STEM Implementation
Timeline: Year 1 of Implementation
Becoming a STEM School
- STEM Implementation Rubric
- Indiana's Framework for STEM Education
- STEM School Certification Application (Anticipated online application process for Fall 2014)
- Elementary and Middles School STEM Implementation
- High School STEM Implementation
Elementary STEM Integration Curriculum Maps
Please note these are only example maps. We encourage schools to only use these curriculum maps as a starting point and to adapt, revise, and use as your particular needs permit.
- Indiana Afterschool Network: The Indiana Afterschool Network strives to build a sustainable network of cross-sector partnerships at the state, regional, and local levels to advance public policy, increase funding and resources, and promote quality afterschool and summer learning programs throughout Indiana.
- Indiana STEM Resource Network: The I-STEM Resource Network is a partnership of Indiana's public and private higher education institutions, K-12 schools, businesses, and government. It is dedicated to measurably improving K-12 student achievement in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Indiana Association for Career and Technical Education: Indiana ACTE is committed to doing all it can to promote and strengthen career education for today's youth. Whether they are college bound, struggling to find meaning in school, or somewhere in between, CTE students will go on to become the leaders in the workforce and careers of tomorrow.
- EcO15: Creating a regional system of life-long learning by connecting the residents of ten counties within rural Southeast Indiana to better economic opportunities through education by the year 2015 and beyond.
- Ethos Science Center: Envision schools where hands-on science and technology are taught on a regular and consistent basis by knowledgeable, well-prepared teachers using materials that facilitate science learning while reinforcing mathematics and language arts goals.
- Portal Resources for Indiana Science and Mathematics (PRISM): PRISM is a free website that provides collections of online resources for Indiana educators in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- TechPoint Foundation for Youth: TechPoint Foundation for Youth is a nonprofit venture philanthropic organization with the mission to inspire the next generation of science, technology, engineering and mathematic (STEM) leaders among Indiana's underserved youth populations.
STEM Teacher Organizations
STEM Partner Collaboration