Green Ribbon Schools
Posted: Mon, 09/24/2012 - 3:36pm Updated: Fri, 02/22/2013 - 3:16pm
The U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools (ED-GRS) recognition award honors schools that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs; improving the health and wellness of students and staff; and providing effective environmental and sustainability education, which incorporates STEM, civic skills and green career pathways. The award is part of a larger U.S. Department of Education (ED) effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices that are proven to result in improved student engagement, higher academic achievement and graduation rates, and workforce preparedness, as well as a government wide goal of increasing energy independence and economic security. For more information on ED-GRS, please click HERE.
Indiana’s Green Ribbon Schools Program
Indiana will be participating in the federal Green Ribbon Schools program for the first time during the 2012-2013 school year. This is a great opportunity to highlight schools in Indiana that are doing their part to not only educate students about the environmental impact they have, but to actually involve them in the process of going green. Any school may apply, and applicants for the program are chosen based upon three pillars:
- Pillar One: Reduce Environmental Impact & Costs
- Pillar Two: Improve the Health and Wellness of Students
- Pillar Three: Provide Effective Environmental & Sustainability Education, Incorporating STEM, Civic Skills, and Green Career Pathways
Indiana’s Timeline for the 2012-2013 school year:
- October and November of 2012 – Applications will be submitted.
- December 2012 – Indiana’s GRS team will evaluate applications.
- January 2013 – Chosen schools will be informed, and nomination packets will be put together.
- February 15, 2013 – Nomination packets must be submitted to ED.
Applications are due to the Indiana Department of Education by November 30, 2012, and must be submitted online by downloading this Award Application Form and emailing the completed application to Jeremy Eltz at firstname.lastname@example.org.