Green Ribbon Schools
The U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools (ED-GRS) recognition award honors schools that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs; improving the health and wellness of students and staff; and providing effective environmental and sustainability education, which incorporates STEM, civic skills and green career pathways. The recognition award is part of a larger U.S. Department of Education (ED) effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices that are proven to result in improved student engagement, higher academic achievement and graduation rates, and workforce preparedness, as well as a government wide goal of increasing energy independence and economic security.
Congratulations to Guion Creek Middle School from the Metropolitan School District of Pike Township, Indiana’s 2013 Green Ribbon School Award winner!Congratulations to Guion Creek Middle School from the Metropolitan School District of Pike Township, Indiana’s 2013 Green Ribbon School Award winner!
Indiana’s Green Ribbon Schools Program
Indiana will be participating in the Federal Green Ribbon Schools program for the 2013-2014 school year. This is a great opportunity to highlight schools in Indiana that are doing their part to not only educate students about the environmental impact they have, but to actually involve them in the process of going green. Any school may apply, and applicants for the program are chosen based upon three pillars:
- Pillar One: Reduce Environmental Impact & Costs
- Pillar Two: Improve the Health and Wellness of Students
- Pillar Three: Provide Effective Environmental & Sustainability Education, Incorporating STEM, Civic Skills, and Green Career Pathways
Indiana’s Timeline for the 2012-2013 school year:
- October – Application posted.
- December 16 – Applications due.
- January 2013 – Chosen schools will be informed, and nomination packets will be put together.
- February 15, 2013 – Nomination packets must be submitted to ED.
Applications are due to the Indiana Department of Education by December 16, 2013 and must be submitted online by downloading the Application Form and emailing to Jeremy Eltz at email@example.com. The application is labor intensive; be sure to develop a team in order to complete.