Making the Transition
Since the adoption of the Common Core State Standards (also known as Indiana's Common Core, or INCC) in August 2010, the Indiana Department of Education has worked with educators from around the state to develop resources for teachers and schools to use during the transition to INCC. Two types of resources are listed below: Understanding INCC and Transitioning to INCC.
Understanding Indiana's Common Core
Learn more about the similarities and differences between Indiana Academic Standards and Indiana's Common Core standards.
- Mathematics Transition Guidance - Resources developed to assist teachers in understanding the gaps between the Indiana Academic Standards and INCC for math.
- English/Language Arts (ELA) Transition Guidance - Resources developed to assist teachers in understanding the gaps between the Indiana Academic Standards and INCC for ELA.
- Implementing the Standards for Mathematical Practice - A short video with accompanying resources that explain the standards for mathematical practice
- Four Major Shifts in Literacy - Four short videos that explain significant shifts in ELA and literacy standards.
- Literacy Standards for History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects - Content-specific videos that explain the literacy standards in individual content areas.
Transitioning to INCC
- Assessment Guidance and Common Core Additions for 2012-13 - Assessment guidance for prioritizing the Indiana Academic Standards, as well as INCC for ELA and math, to be added in for the 2012-13 school year.
- Transition to Standards for 2013-14 (Mathematics) - In 2013-14, schools should teach the full range of INCC. This set of transition standards outlines the Indiana Academic Standards that should be included to ensure students are prepared for ISTEP+.
- High-Quality Tasks for Improving Instruction - Open-ended items that will be used in statewide workshops around INCC for mathematics and the RISE Evaluation and Development System in June 2012.
- External Resources - Resources developed by other state agencies and organizations to help educators understand and effectively implement the Common Core.
- English Language Arts Exemplar Texts - The Delaware Department of Education compiled a list of varied texts by grade level that address complexity challenges.