Superkids Reading Program (Rowland Reading Foundation)
Superkids Reading Program is a comprehensive, phonics-based core reading program for K–2 that aligns to Indiana's Common Core Standards. This research-based program systematically integrates all the language arts. Superkids installations include complimentary professional development services, including one-on-one teacher coaching, and online access to teacher and student materials.
Status as a Core Reading Program
Superkids Reading Program is approved with reservations as a core reading program in grades K-2. The program consistently meets or exceeds expectations in grades 1 and 2, but only partially meets expectations in grade K.
Results of Review
The full rubrics with reviewer comments can be downloaded by clicking on the link in the "Final Determination and Rubric" column. Points were awarded based on the following scale and assigned to each item under review.
- 2 - exceeds expectations
- 1 - meets expectations
- 0 - does not meet expectations
In the table below, the number before the slash indicates the total number of points granted for a category. The number after the slash represents the number of points possible on each section. In order to meet expectations, a grade level must receive at least half of the points for the total score and no less than 45 percent of the points in each of the five components of scientifically-based reading research: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. A key for interpreting the category titles can be found below the table.
|Grade||ID||PA||P||F||V||C||INCC||IAS||M&E||A||PD||Total Score||Final Determination and Rubric||Publisher Comments|
|Grade K||36/70||30/56||38/56||14/28||23/56||35/58||Yes||N/A||4/8||3/6||5/10||188/348||Does not meet expectations||Comments|
|Grade 1||64/70||33/44||63/80||43/56||57/68||61/72||Yes||N/A||7/8||3/6||9/10||340/414||Meets or exceeds expectations||No comments submitted|
|Grade 2||43/70||N/A||51/70||30/54||36/70||40/72||Yes||Yes||5/8||3/6||6/10||214/360||Meets or exceeds expectations||No comments submitted|
- ID: Instructional Design
- PA: Phonological/Phonemic Awareness
- P: Phonics
- F: Fluency
- V: Vocabulary
- C: Comprehension
- INCC: Alignment to Indiana's Common Core Standards
- IAS: Alignment to Indiana Academic Standards
- M&E: Motivation and Engagement
- A: Assessment
- PD: Professional Development
In order to be considered for review, publishers were required to submit a self evaluation. The self evaluation asks publishers to provide information to the state and to districts on the following items:
- What states or large districts have adopted this submission?
- How does your program meet the needs of all students?
- What are the components of the comprehensive core reading program?
- What ancillary materials are included, if any?
- What professional development is available?
- What are the hardware and equipment requirements, if any?
- What are the software licensing requirements, if any?
Please download Superkids Self-Evaluation to more thoroughly understand all aspects of this core program.
Pricing and Assurances
As part of the review process, publishers were asked to provide assurances to the Indiana Department of Education and local school corporations in the event of local adoption. Assurances were requested for the following items:
- Assure that the materials submitted for evaluation meet the NIMAS requirements outlined in IC 20-26-12-24(i);
- Assure that the materials submitted for evaluation will be made available in alternate formats as required to meet the needs of students with disabilities;
- Assure that the materials submitted will be made available to local education agencies for no less than six years from the date of the published review; and
- Assure that the materials submitted for evaluation will be made available to local education agencies at the price indicated for no less than six years.
Please note that agreement to these statements was not a condition of review, and as such, local school corporations should carefully review these documents to understand what will be made available in the event of a local adoption decision. The responses to these assurances as well as the guaranteed prices can be found in Superkids Pricing and Assurances and Superkids Textbook Assurances.
- Scope and Sequence
- Great News and a Guarantee
- Core Instruction Charts
- Professional Development Services For All Superkids Schools
- Make Every Minute of Your Reading Block Count
- The Common Core State Standards and Superkids
- These Scores Can Be Yours
- Superkids Research - D'Agostino
- Subscription Agreement for Online Materials
- Assessment in the Superkids Reading Program
- How is Comprehension Taught in Superkids
- Independent Study Superkids Students Dramatically Outperform Control Group
- Independent Study Texas Superkids School Scores Higher Than Comparison Schools on SAT-9
- Is Superkids a Phonics Program
- Is Superkids a Research-Based Program
- Neshaminy Public Schools Superkids Success
- Summary of Research About the Superkids Reading Program
- Superkids Improves Reading Scores for Lowest Performing Students at Massachusetts School
- Superkids Is Effective with High-Achieving Students