State Advisory Council
Posted: Wed, 09/28/2011 - 8:21am Updated: Tue, 03/05/2013 - 12:46pm
State Advisory Council on Education of Students with Disabilities (SAC)
The Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA 2004) at 34 CFR § 300.167-169 and state law IC 20-35-3 require Indiana to maintain a State Advisory Council to assist the State on the education of students with disabilities. Members of the State Advisory Council must be citizens of Indiana who are representative of the state's population and selected on the basis of their involvement in or concern with the education of children with disabilities. A majority of the members must be individuals with disabilities or the parents of children with disabilities. Members must also include teachers, state and local education officials, program administrators, representatives of various state agencies, representatives of higher education institutions that prepare special education and related service personnel, representatives of nonpublic schools, and representatives of vocational, community, or business organizations concerned with the provision of transitional services to children with disabilities.
- To advise the state superintendent of public instruction and the state board of education regarding all rules pertaining to children with disabilities.
- To recommend approval or rejection of completed comprehensive plans for delivery of special education and related services submitted by school corporations acting individually or on a joint school services program basis with other corporations.
- To advise the department of education of unmet needs within the state in the education of children with disabilities.
- To comment publicly on any rules or regulations proposed by the state board of education regarding the education on children with disabilities;
- To advise the department of education in developing evaluations and reporting data to the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education under 20 U.S.C. 1418;
- To advise the department of education in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in federal monitoring reports under U.S.C. §1400 et seq.; and,
- To advise the department of education in developing and implementing policies related to the coordination of services for children with disabilities.
All SAC meetings are held at the H. Dean Evans Community and Education Center, 8550 Woodfield Crossing Blvd., Indianapolis, IN 46240, beginning at 9:30 a.m., unless otherwise noted on the agenda for the meeting. The meetings are open to the public. The meeting agenda is available approximately two weeks prior to each SAC meeting. You may request a copy of the next SAC meeting agenda via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Meeting Dates
- February 26, 2013
- May 17, 2013
- September 13, 2013
- November 8, 2013
|SAMPLE MEETING AGENDA|
A. Call to Order
B. Information Items:
C. Action Items:
D. Additional Council Recommendations and/or Concerns
E. Public Comment