The purpose of the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) program is to measure student achievement in the subject areas of English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science (Grades 4 and 6), and Social Studies (Grades 5 and 7). In particular, ISTEP+ reports student achievement levels according to the Indiana Academic Standards that were adopted by the Indiana State Board of Education. The assessments are administered in two parts: Part 1 consists of applied skills (open-ended) items, and Part 2 includes multiple-choice and technology-enhanced items. Both Part 1 and Part 2 are required components of the ISTEP+ program and are used to measure student mastery of the Indiana Academic Standards.
The purpose of the test blueprints, designed with the help of Indiana classroom teachers, is to make transparent to educators the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of students on the assessments.
The blueprints can be used as tools to:
- Align expectations regarding mastery of the standards;
- Identify the degree of emphasis of curricular components;
- Assist and guide in prioritizing curriculum and instructional planning; and
- Enhance classroom assessment.
|Content Area||Grade||New for 2018-19|
|English/Language Arts||Grade 3||Grade 4||Grade 5||Grade 6||Grade 7||Grade 8||N/A|
|Mathematics||Grade 3||Grade 4||Grade 5||Grade 6||Grade 7||Grade 8||N/A|
|Science||N/A||Grade 41||N/A||Grade 61||N/A||N/A||Grade 42 | Grade 62|
|Social Studies||N/A||N/A||Grade 5||N/A||Grade 7||N/A||N/A|
1 ISTEP+ science blueprint aligns to the 2010 standards. Field test items align to 2016 standards (including K-8 computer science standards).
2 Future science blueprint aligns to the 2016 standards (including K-8 computer science standards).
The Item Samplers on this website provide information about ISTEP+ for students, parents, educators, and others. The items in each sampler are examples of the types of items found on ISTEP+. These examples can serve as models when teachers are constructing items for classroom assessment. It should be noted that the samplers are not practice tests.
These documents are designed to assist teachers in planning and prioritizing instructional time in order to focus on college and career readiness and ensure student success.
|Instructional and Assessment Guidance|
Released Part 1 Applied Skills (open-ended) Items and Scoring Notes
The documents in the chart below include the open-ended items from ISTEP+ Part 1 (which are no longer considered secure), along with a description of the item types and scoring rules, as well as sample student responses.
- Released Part 1 Applied Skills Items and Scoring Notes Video
- Released Part 1 Applied Skills Items and Scoring Notes PowerPoint
|English/Language Arts||Grade 3||Grade 4||Grade 5||Grade 6||Grade 7||Grade 8|
Grade 3 Online
Grade 4 Online
Grade 5 Online
Grade 6 Online
Grade 7 Online
Grade 8 Online
|Science||N/A||Grade 4||N/A||Grade 6||N/A||N/A|
|Social Studies||N/A||N/A||Grade 5||N/A||Grade 7||N/A|
- 2017 Assessment Report Release Dates
- Accommodations Resource Guide and Toolkit
- Calculator Policy
- English/Language Arts Rubrics for ISTEP+ Part 1
- English/Language Arts Grades 3-8 Editing Checklists
- ISTEP+ Experience Online
- 2017 ISTEP+ Spring Cut Scores & Minimum and Maximum Scores
- ISTEP+ Guide to Test Interpretation
- Math Graph Paper Guidance
- Math Gridded-Response Information
- Math Walking through the Online Equation Builder
- Math Reference Sheets
- Math Rubric for ISTEP+ Part 1
- Performance Level Descriptors
- Parent Portal
- Indiana Academic Standards
- Standards and Assessment Vocabulary
- Standards and Assessment Resources
- Use of Highlighters
Phone: (317) 232-9050
Toll-free: (888) 544-7837
Fax: (317) 233-2196