Indiana Standards Tool for Alternate Reporting of Kindergarten Readiness (ISTAR-KR)
The purpose of ISTAR-KR (Indiana Standards Tool for Alternate Reporting of Kindergarten Readiness) is to measure skills in children from infancy to kindergarten. A derivative of Indiana's Early Learning Standards (which are part of the Foundations to Indiana Academic Standards), ISTAR-KR is aligned to the Indiana Standards for kindergarten in the areas of English/Language Arts and Mathematics and includes three functional areas: physical, personal care and social-emotional skills. Data from ISTAR-KR assessments are used for state reporting for PK students receiving special education. The assessment can be used for local purposes for grades PK through 1.
This web-based instrument is rated by teachers based on their ongoing observations of children engaged in typical daily routines and activities. It is available to all public schools in Indiana and to private early childhood education programs at no cost. Assessment results from ISTAR-KR can be used to determine which skills a child has mastered and to identify the skills a student needs to learn next.
This ISTAR-KR information applies solely to community-based preschools such as licensed childcare centers, family childcare homes, legally licensed exempt programs, and registered ministries.
- Community-Based Preschool Administrator’s Jumpstart Guide
- Community-Based Preschool Educator’s Jumpstart Guide
- Getting Started with ISTAR-KR
- Community-Based Preschool ISTAR-KR Access
- ISTAR-KR School Creation and Administrator Form (Updated 8-2016)
- ISTAR-KR SPN Creation for Staff (Updated 8-2016)
- ISTAR-KR STN Creation for Students (Updated 8-2016)
- ISTAR-KR Consent Form English | Spanish
ISTAR-KR Assessments (print versions created September 2012)
- Glossary of Assessment Terms
- Parent Instructions - Children in Special Education
- Parent Instructions - Community Early Childhood Education Programs
- ISTAR Kindergarten Readiness Matrix - English/Language Arts
- ISTAR Kindergarten Readiness Matrix - Mathematics
- Performance Level Descriptors
- ISTAR KR Administrator's Guide
- IAEYC Conference 2013: Authentic Assessment: Classroom Practices
- ISTAR KR Teacher's Guide
Aggregate data comparing entrance and exit scores for children exiting preschool services are submitted annually by the state to the federal Office of Special Education Programs (for Special Education-Indicator 7 purposes). Individual student assessment results of ISTAR-KR are made available to family members at specific intervals when the assessment is used to measure student progress (upon entrance, at exit, and annually on the child’s birthday).
Private Preschools Contact:
Early Learning Specialist
Office of Early Learning and Intervention
Public Schools Contact:
Special Programs Assessment Specialist
Office of Student Assessment