Green Ribbon Schools
The U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools (ED-GRS) recognition award honors schools that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs; improving the health and wellness of students and staff; and providing effective environmental and sustainability education, which incorporates STEM, civic skills and green career pathways. The recognition award is part of a larger U.S. Department of Education (ED) effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices that are proven to result in improved student engagement, higher academic achievement and graduation rates, and workforce preparedness, as well as a government wide goal of increasing energy independence and economic security.
Congratulations to Columbus North High School, Indiana’s 2015 Green Ribbon School Award Winner!
Winning applications can be found here (http://www2.ed.gov/programs/green-ribbon-schools/awards.html). The expectation is that applications and winners will only get better with each year so please use these examples as a tool to build from for your green efforts!
Indiana’s Green Ribbon Schools Program
Indiana will be participating in the Federal Green Ribbon Schools program for the 2014-2015 school year. This is a great opportunity to highlight schools in Indiana that are doing their part to not only educate students about the environmental impact they have, but to actually involve them in the process of going green. Any school may apply, and applicants for the program are chosen based upon three pillars:
- Pillar One: Reduce Environmental Impact & Costs
- Pillar Two: Improve the Health and Wellness of Students
- Pillar Three: Provide Effective Environmental & Sustainability Education, Incorporating STEM, Civic Skills, and Green Career Pathways
Indiana’s Timeline for the 2015-2016 school year:
- October – Application posted.
- December 14 – Applications due.
- January 2016 – Chosen schools will be informed, and nomination packets will be put together.
- February 15 – Nomination packets must be submitted to ED.
Applications are due to the Indiana Department of Education by December 14, 2015 and must be submitted online by downloading the Application Form and emailing to Jeremy Eltz at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application is labor intensive; be sure to develop a team in order to complete.
- Resources for Green Schools
- Indiana Specific Resources for Green Ribbon Schools
- Federal Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools
2014 Award Winner
- Carmel High School and St. Thomas Aquinas
2013 Award Winner
- Guion Creek Middle School from the Metropolitan School District of Pike Township