A large group of stakeholders has been working over the past year to revise Indiana’s Early Learning Development Framework. Using current research and field feedback, the workgroups have established a conceptual document of core Early Learning Foundations. The public is invited to provide feedback. We appreciate your contributions to this project. Please post your reactions and comments no later than Friday, May 8th, 2015. A link to the revised Early Learning Foundations will appear in the survey.
• Download the document and take the survey here
Early Childhood Education in Indiana includes all children from birth to age 8, although often it ends upon a child's entry into kindergarten. Programs include Licensed Centers, Licensed Homes and Unlicensed Registered Child Care Ministries, all of which have oversight by the Bureau of Child Care. The Indiana Department of Education supports the care of young children through various initiatives including: The Foundations to the Indiana Academic Standards, the Indiana Birth to Age 5 Literacy Framework and the ISTAR-KR Assessment.
Foundations to the Indiana Academic Standards
The Foundations to the Indiana Academic Standards for Young Children from Birth to Age Five have been developed by individuals with expertise in children ages birth to 5. The Foundations are based on the latest national research and findings for all content areas and domains. By outlining specific skills and concepts and giving examples of instructional strategies, these foundations will support teachers, parents, and caregivers as they develop appropriate experiences for young children to help ensure success in kindergarten. The most recent version, updated in February 2012, is available below.
- Indiana Foundations (February 2012)
- Foundations Alignment to IAS 2014
- Glossary on Early Learning in Indiana 2015
- Video: Foundation to the Indiana Standards, Introduction
- Video: Foundation to the Indiana Standards, Birth to Three Years
- Video: Foundation to the Indiana Standards, Three to Five Years
Early Learning Summits
August 19, 2014
- Susan Neuman - Keynote Presentation
- ISTAR-KR Data Presentation
- Susan Neuman – Break Out Presentation
- Leveraging Federal Funds for PS
- Federal Guidance - Afterschool Network
May 15, 2014
- Summit Videos
- FAQ Indiana Title I Preschool
- Lori Connors Tadros Presentation
- Megan Purcell Presentation
- Preschool Assessment Guide Developing Balanced Approach
- Resources Inform Technical Assistance Formative Assessment
February 19, 2014
- Birth to 3rd grade Continuum Handout
- CCSSO Scan Information
- Curriculum and Assessment
- Transition Protocols Handout
Resources for Parents and Families
- Early Literacy Resources
- How can I help my child prepare for Kindergarten?
- Is your child ready for reading in Kindergarten?
- Is your child ready for mathematics in Kindergarten?
- Five Domains of School Readiness
- Indiana State Transition Initiative for Children and Families
- National Association for the Education of Young Children: Promoting Excellence in Early Childhood Education
- Preschool Parent Referral Therapy Services and ISTAR-KR Guidance