Indiana eLearning Flex Pilot Program
Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the IDOE launched a Flex Pilot Program designed to support schools interested in exploring innovative approaches to school schedules by leveraging eLearning options. During the 2013-2014 school year, six schools participated in the program. They were: Zionsville Community Schools, M S D Wabash County Schools, Noblesville Schools, Porter Township School Corporation, Maconaquah School Corporation, and Attica Consolidated School Corporation.
In 2014-2015, six additional districts joined this group. They were: East Noble, Madison Consolidated, Madison-Grant, Perry Central, Southwest Allen, and Yorktown.
To be considered for the Flex Pilot a district must complete an online application that indicates the following:
- A plan for utilizing digital learning that innovatively alters the traditional school day.
- The ability to provide online learning opportunities that meet the varying needs of their students and include contact with teachers.
- Accommodations for students with special needs.
- The availability of breakfast and lunch for students needing that option.
- At school alternatives for any student unable to remain at home and transportation to school, if needed.
- A plan for all staff during the Flex times/days.
Applications must include evidence of local school board approval of the proposal.
Proposals are reviewed for thoughtfulness and strength of rationale for the requested flexibility. As part of the review process, members of the IDOE Office of eLearning meet with the district to further discuss the implementation of the program.
Finally, when approved, a school corporation will be asked to submit a letter of assurance to memorialize the understanding between the school corporation and the Indiana Department of Education.
Districts accepted into the pilot become part of a collaborative group and meet both virtually and in person with each other and with the Office of eLearning, to discuss challenges and opportunities and to share resources and support.
The application closed for the school year on May 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm EST.
*This pilot grants flexibility only and does not provide funding.
*This pilot is separate from the Virtual Learning Option for Inclement Weather offered during the winter of 2014. The Flex Pilot is NOT to be used as preparation for the Virtual Option.
If you have questions, please email Candice Dodson at email@example.com.