WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework
WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards http://wida.us/standards/eld.aspx
Read the WIDA One Pager to learn why Indiana adopted the WIDA English language development (ELD) standards for English learners, how the WIDA ELD standards are connected to the Indiana Academic Standards, and how content area and EL educators will utilize the WIDA standards.
Indiana's WIDA Implementation Guide is a comprehensive resource for school and district personnel to begin interacting with the WIDA English language development (ELD) Standards Framework. The implementation guide walks you through the key components of the framework, provides valuable examples and tools, and answers many questions.
- Read HERE about the adoption of the WIDA English language development (ELD) standards for English learners. Through the implementation of the WIDA standards, Indiana will advance academic language development and academic achievement for linguistically diverse students. The goal of language development standards is to teach social, instructional, and academic language skills to second language learners. The development standards support second language learners so that they may successfully engage with peers, educators, and access fully academic content standards and curriculum. Implementation will begin in the fall of 2014 for the 2014-2015 school year. If you would like to read more about the WIDA standards, please visit www.wida.us
- Visit the Download Library to download free resources, including the 2012 ELD standards and the Can Do Descriptors by grade level clusters
- Interested in purchasing any WIDA materials? Visit the WIDA online store to purchase materials.
- Introduce the WIDA standards to your staff by using the Virginia DOE ELP Standards Instructional Videos located under the instruction tab at http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/esl/. These videos demonstrate the language functions repeated throughout the WIDA ELD standards in all subject areas
- Have any exciting WIDA implementation events, photos, or successes to share? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Tools to Consider
- Overview Tutorial of WIDA 2012 ELD Standards:http://www.wida.us/DownloadDocs/standards/2012Amplification/2012Tutorial/player.html
- Utilize Indiana's WIDA Resource Guide to interact with the WIDA standards framework by completing these self-paced activities. View this Sample WIDA Indiana Lesson to understand how the Indiana Academic Standards interact with the WIDA ELD Standards.
- Connecting WIDA's 15 Essential Actions to SIOP's 8 Components (provided by Mindy Lewis, MSD Wayne Township)
- Integrating WIDA ELD Standards into RtI Processes for ELLs
- WIDA Can Do Check Sheet training document