Summer School is a state-reimbursable program which allows Indiana's school corporations to provide summer academic and enrichment courses for students in elementary, middle, and high school.
The core curricular programs are the emphasis at both the elementary and middle school levels, whereas the required studies at the high school level should meet the requirements for the Core 40 diploma designation with academic and/or technical honors.
Eligible programs for Summer School 2017 are:
- Language Arts, grades K-8
- Reading and Literature, grades K-8
- Mathematics, grades K-8
- All other curricular programs, enrichment and multidisciplinary classes, grades K-8
- Courses toward graduation, including electives, grades 9-12
- Courses not counting toward graduation, grades 9-12
2017 Summer School Important Dates & Deadlines
Important note: In order to receive a payment for reimbursement of Summer School Instructional Costs, both the Spring estimated Summer School Instructional Costs Report and Fall final Summer School Instructional Costs Report must be submitted by the posted deadlines.
- Friday, March 31, 2017
Deadline for submission of:
- Estimate of Summer school Instructional Costs Reports
- The window to submit the estimate for Summer School Instructional Costs Report opens Wednesday, February 1, 2017 and closes on Friday, March 31, 2017.
- The report is to be submitted online, the link will be available on this page when the window to submit the estimate of Summer Instructional Costs Report opens.
- List of all summer school classes to be offered in summer school for which the school corporation will seek reimbursement, the course numbers can be found by clicking on the Course Titles and Descriptions links at the bottom of this page.
- Non-standard course waiver applications
- Friday, May 12, 2017
- The Department of Education notify school corporations of the expected level of state reimbursement based on the estimated expenditures submitted.
- Friday, September 15, 2017 (Statutory Deadline)
- Deadline for submission of final Summer School Report form
- The window to submit the final Summer School Instructional Costs Report opens July 31, 2017 and closes on September 15, 2017.
- The report is to be submitted online, the link can be located at the top of this page.
- November 2017
- Summer school instructional costs reimbursements mailed to school corporations and charter schools.
Note 1: Summer school instructional costs not reimbursed for private or *turnaround schools.
*Turnaround schools that have contracts which provide for the offering of summer school services may submit for payment through the process outlined in the contract.
Summer School Links:
- 2017 Summer School Packet
- Summer School FAQs
- 2016-2017 Indiana Elementary and Middle School Subject Area Titles Summary
- 2016-2017 Indiana High School Course Titles Summary
- 2016-2017 Course Titles and Descriptions – Elementary and Middle School
- 2016-2017 Course Titles and Descriptions – High School
Note 2: Access to electronic form requires a login and password.
Please use your username and password for DOE Online.
For assistance, contact IDOEHelpDesk at https://help.doe.in.gov
or call (317) 232-0808 and choose option 1.
Note 3: Your school corporation must be included on the 2017 Summer School
Reimbursement Estimate List (to be posted on Friday, May 12, 2017)
to be eligible for final reimbursement.
Note 4: Print confirmation page and keep for your records.
Areas to Explore
- 2016 Summer School Reimbursement Distributions
- 2015 Summer School Reimbursement Distributions
- Summer School - Indiana Code 20-30-7
- 2014 Summer School Reimbursement Distributions
- 2013 Summer School Reimbursement Distributions
- Summer School – 511 IAC 12-2-1 to 12-2-7
Important information and announcements about Summer School are included in the Finance Community on Learning Connection. The Indiana Department of Education Finance Team strongly encourages all school and corporation staff to join the School Finance Community on Learning Connection. Schools can find announcements from the Finance Team as well as resources on different areas and topics of school finance. To join the Learning Connection community, login at www.learningconnection.doe.in.gov, click on “My Communities” under “Contacts & Communities” and search for “School Finance” under “Find a Community”.
Prior year Summer School documents can be found in the Finance Community on Learning Connection. Once in the Finance Community, click on ‘Files and Bookmarks’, then ‘Summer School’.