Latch Key/School Age Child Care Program
IDOE LATCH KEY OVERVIEW (Indiana Code 20-26-5-1,2,3)
Latch Key is an elementary school-age child care program that provides care and education for children of working parents. This program is designed to be a link between the home and the school. Certified, qualified and experienced child care providers supervise, teach and interact with children to ensure that they are cared for, supervised, exposed to many learning activities, allowed to complete homework and share enjoyment in a relaxed and carefully designed developmentally appropriate environment.
The goals of the Latch Key Program are as follows:
- Provide quality before and after school care and education.
- Promote the social, emotional, physical, and intellectual development of each child.
- Provide a program that is developmentally appropriate.
- Foster a positive self-image in each child.
- Establish good rapport with parents, children and building administrators.
Latch Key Wavier (Indiana Code 20-26-5-2)
School corporations may seek a waiver from the child care program requirement if compliance would result in “undue financial hardship.” To be eligible for such a waiver, the school corporation must demonstrate that it has made a good-faith effort to implement a program and that, after sufficient notification, there was too little interest in such a program for implementation to be economically feasible.
As part of a waiver request, school corporations must present:
- A written description of the steps taken to conduct a latch key program and/or to actively solicit other non-profits or for-profits organizations to implement a program.
- Evidence that a request in writing was made to all parents to contact the school corporation to indicate their willingness to utilize the latch key program and documentation of any parent survey results.
- The nature of the hardship that the school corporation would experience due to a low number of eligible children intending to utilize the latch key program services.
- Detailed financial analysis including the projected costs, attendance, and income expected from the implementation of such a program.
Note 1: School corporations must submit a new waiver request each school year.
Note 2: All waiver requests must be submitted on or by September 30th each year.
Current Latch Key Child Care Provider
Assurances – Please voluntarily submit a signed Latch Key Assurances form.
Provider Information – Please voluntarily complete the survey of the school corporation’s current childcare program.
|Note 3:||Unless otherwise requested in writing, the information from the Provider Form will be included in Indiana’s online mapping database for families and community members to search for child care afterschool programs and summer school programs. Send database exclusion requests to the Latch Key Program contact. Provider information is updated twice a year.|
Areas to Explore
- Latch Key Legislation - Indiana Code 20-26-5-2
- Indiana’s online Child Care, Afterschool and Summer Programs Database
- Indiana Association of Child Care Resource and Referral
- Sample Latch Key Information and Parent Survey
- Sample Latch Key Registration Form – English
- Sample Latch Key Registration Form – Spanish
Latch Key Program