New High Ability Coordinator Workshop
Dates: October 9 and October 10, 2013
Location: Indiana Government Center South, Conference Center - Conference Rooms 4 and 5
Time: Registration 8:30 Workshop 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M.
Lunch on your own
Enrollment is limited to 60 so please register early. There is no cost for the workshop, and free parking will be provided.
Being new to the position of High Ability Coordinator and the responsibility for identification and providing appropriately differentiated curriculum and instruction K-12 for students with high ability may cause you to have many questions. Plan to attend this informative one day workshop where questions will be answered and information will be provided to assist you in this role. Come and learn the basics of high ability including best practice and what the legislation says. Topics such as curriculum, identification, services options, differentiation, and working with your stakeholders will be covered. If you are a High Ability Coordinator with 0-2 years of experience in this role, you won’t want to miss this workshop. Mark your calendars and make plans to attend!
*NOTE: This workshop is offered on two different days. It is the same workshop and participants only need to attend one.
The morning will give an overview of high ability education, including:
- The need for these educational services within our schools and within our state
- The requirements for districts in Indiana
- Understanding identification in relation to the Indiana laws and definition of a high ability student.
- Considering how to organize students and service options to produce academic growth in high ability students
The afternoon will be organized to:
- Discuss the characteristics of these students
- Get an overview of what is "appropriately differentiated curriculum and instruction" for high ability learners.
- Find out where to find information about requirements
- Have an opportunity to ask questions of the IDOE Specialist Amy Marschand
Presenters will include:
- Amy Marschand, High Ability Education Specialist, Indiana Department of Education, Student Achievement and Improvement
- Kristie Speirs Neumeister, Ph.D., Ball State University
- Virginia Burney, Ph.D., Ball State University