Posted: Fri, 09/23/2011 - 12:51pm Updated: Mon, 05/22/2017 - 2:22pm

Information on Career Specialists Permits

The Career Specialist Permit is a new permit for secondary content areas. It is a renewable 2- year permit that allows an individual to teach a specific content area as long as the person has met the following requirements (515 IAC 16-4-6):

  • a bachelor’s degree in a content area for which secondary licenses are issued with at least a 3.0/4.0 GPA;
  • successful completion of the CORE content exam;
  • 6,000 clock hours of verified non-teaching occupational experience in the last five years related to the content area requested for licensure (511 IAC 16-4-7).

Before renewing an initial permit, one must complete a pedagogy component that includes the areas of literacy; differentiation of instruction; classroom and behavioral management; curriculum development (lesson planning, assessment strategies, use of data to improve instruction); psychology of child development; and competence in multicultural awareness and technology in the classroom (511 IAC 16-4-6). Pedagogy may be provided by a school employer, college or university coursework or professional development, or any other entity but all providers must be approved by the Indiana State Board of Education following a review and recommendation by the Indiana Department of Education. The pedagogy preparation or coursework MUST begin by or before the first month of teaching. Subsequent renewals require a Professional Growth Plan (PGP) with 40 PGP points. Please contact Scott Bogan at for information about the Pedagogy component.

Materials needed to apply for the Career Specialist Permit:

  1. Copy of your CPR/AED/Heimlich maneuver certification - click HERE for more information and a list of approved providers.
  2. Suicide Prevention Training Certificate. Click here for a link to resources.
  3. Official Transcripts Showing Bachelor's with 3.0/4.0 GPA in Content Area.
  4. An official letter verifying Occupational Experience to equal 6,000 hours or more.
  5. Official Pearson Content Area tests score sheets.

How to Apply
Instructions on how to apply: We have a new licensing portal where you apply for and will eventually print your license. The following link has the portal and manuals you can reference if you need it:

You need to do the following:

  1. Click on the LVIS Portal Link.
  2. “Create Profile”
  3. Fill out all the required fields and click “Create Profile.”
  4. Go to your personal e-mail and find the e-mail(s) LVIS just sent you. It will be from “System Administrator.” If it ended up in your SPAM/JUNK e-mail folder, you need to add the e-mail address to your contact or safe senders list.
  5. Click the link “Verify e-mail.”
  6. Log into your LVIS account.
  7. You need to do the following:
  8. Click on “Add Application” on the right hand side.
  9. Click the “Original” in the 1st action slot.
  10. Choose “Career Specialist Permit” in the next.
  11. Type in “Your subject area” in the type in box
  12. Click “Next”.
  13. In this step it’s going to ask tell you that the IDOE will review your file and No Recommending Institution is needed.
  14. Click “next”
  15. Answer the “legal” questions. If you answer yes to any of them, you will need to upload the documentation required. Click “Next.”
  16. This step will ask you to upload all of your required documents, Transcripts, etc. Upload the required documentation(see steps below). Click “Next.”
    • Click on the “browse” button
    • Locate your documents in your computer (you should have previously scanned this document into your computer and saved it as a pdf document)
    • Double click on the located document name
    • LVIS should then show this as an attached document to the application
  17. If you have everything completed, you will be able to “Submit Application.” If not, you need to fix what is missing.
  18. Click the link to pay for all pending applications.
  19. Mark the box under the “Pay?”
  20. Fill out all the Billing information.
  21. Click “Review Summary.”
  22. Click box under Refund Policy.
  23. Click “Submit.”

Transition to Teaching

Transition to Teaching is based on the premise that the candidate already has the content knowledge in the licensing area. Each accredited education institution is required to offer or be in collaboration with other institutions to offer a Transition to Teaching program. Praxis I and II may be required for admission to the program. The programs consist of 18 hours for secondary and 24 hours for elementary of education coursework. No education courses are required as prerequisites for admission.

Advanced Degree

The Office of Educator Effectiveness and Licensing now offers a licensing option to individuals who have an advanced degree. By statute, instructional licenses issued under the advanced degree option are available only at the secondary (middle school and high school) grade levels. See IC 20-28-5-15.

Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a license using the advanced degree option:

  • Hold a master’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited postsecondary educational institution in the subject content area in which the applicant seeks to be licensed.
  • Verify at least one (1) academic year of experience teaching students in a middle school, high school or college classroom setting. Substitute teaching experiences does not count.
  • Successfully complete the required content area testing corresponding to the major of your master's degree & the secondary pedagogy test (Test #006 - Secondary Education). Please see the Educator Testing website for more information.
  • Provide evidence of valid adult CPR/AED/Heimlich maneuver certification.
  • After July 1, 2013 -- Suicide Prevention Training Certificate. Click Here for a list of resources.

Payment/Costs involved for licensure of Advanced Degree

When you apply for an original license there are 2 fees associated with the licensure: an Evaluation Fee and a License Application Fee. The initial payment will be used for the evaluation of your credentials. This fee is $35.00 (plus handling and transaction fees). After the evaluation is completed, a second payment of $35.00 (plus handling and transaction fees) will be due to issue the license. The Office of Educator Effectiveness and Licensing will notify you when this payment is due.

To apply for the Advanced Degree submit the following materials:

  1. Complete a profile, application and pay for the application through our online Licensing Verification and Information System, LVIS. Click HERE to access LVIS information.
  2. A completed Areas for Evaluation form. Select all subjects for which you want to be evaluated. You will only be evaluated for the subjects selected.
  3. A copy of your CPR/AED/Heimlich maneuver certification - click HERE for more information and a list of approved providers.
  4. After July 1, 2013-- Suicide Prevention Training Certificate. Click Here for a list of resources.
  5. Official transcripts that bear the sign and/or seal of the registrar, the degree and date conferred. Provide transcripts for ALL completed coursework at ALL institutions attended. Transcripts must be included with evaluation materials. This also must include your undergraduate degree transcripts as well as any degrees beyond that. Do NOT order transcripts to be sent directly to the Office of Educator Effectiveness and Licensing.
  6. An official letter verifying Instructional and/or Professional Education Experience. The letter is considered official if it is on school letterhead and signed by an administrator. The letter needs to include dates of employment; subjects and grades taught and/or positions held and must include both the type and status of school accreditation. It is only necessary for the Administrator from your last place of employment to verify all your experience.
  7. Official score reports of licensing tests you may have taken. Please see the Educator Testing website for more information.

Workplace Specialists

Other Alternative Licensure

Charter School Licensure

Authorized by the 2013 General Assembly, candidates may qualify for an instructional license valid for teaching in charter schools only. Candidates must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Hold at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the content area the candidate wants to teach; OR
  • Hold at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and pass the appropriate licensure exam in the content area the candidate wishes to teach.

All applicants for Charter School licensure must also hold current CPR/Heimlich/AED certification and complete the required Suicide Prevention Training (Click Here for CPR/Heimlich/AED Training and Click Here for Suicide Prevention Training). Application process is through the LVIS online application system.