CPR-Heimlich Maneuver-AED Certification
Per Indiana Code 20-28-5-3(c), applicants applying for an initial teaching license must have successfully completed training in:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation that includes a test demonstration on a mannequin,
- Removing a foreign body causing an obstruction in an airway, and the Heimlich Maneuver;
- Beginning July 1, 2011, the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED); and
- Hold a valid certification in each of these procedures from either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association or other providers as approved by the department.
An initial teaching license is the first license issued to an applicant, regardless of content area or setting. Effective July 1, 2012, the requirements above must be met for all license and permit renewals. Applicants for initial licensure of any type and applicants for all renewals must show proof of valid CPR/AED/Heimlich certification. For applications submitted an paid in LVIS on or before June 30, 2012, the current requirement will be honored even though the licenses may not be processed by licensing advisors or OELD staff until July 1, 2012, or after.
Substitute teacher permits and educational interpreter permits are exempt.
CPR-Heimlich Maneuver training may be delivered primarily online, but it must include a "hands-on" training/demonstration component with a mannequin.
- 2 Nurses and a Dummy
- American CPR - C.A.R.E. Training
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- American Safety & Health Institute
- CPR Solutions, Inc.
- Divers Alert Network--CPR Training
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute
- Emergency Medical Classes
- EMS Safety Services
- Health Emergency & Lifecare Programs
- Kentuckiana CPR Training Network
- MEDIC First Aid
- MEDICORE Medical Services (Dublin, Ireland)
- Resq Health & Safety Training
- The National Safety Council