Emergency Permits

Posted: Mon, 09/26/2011 - 2:33pm Updated: Tue, 06/02/2015 - 2:09pm

An Emergency Permit is issued at the request of a school district in a content area for which the district is experiencing difficulty staffing the assignment with a properly licensed educator. The Emergency Permit (EP) is a temporary credential issued to a school corporation or special education cooperative for a person who is not licensed for that assignment. The applicant must possess the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university in order to be eligible for the EP. The individual holding the EP must make a commitment to work toward completion of an approved program to either add the content area(s) of the EP to an existing license or to obtain an initial practitioner license for the content area(s). The permit holder must meet with a licensing advisor at an Indiana institution in order to learn about the requirements for completing the appropriate program.

An applicant has four (4) weeks from the day the teaching assignment begins in the school in which the applicant is employed to apply for an EP.

The EP is valid for one school year. Once issued, it may be renewed by the school a maximum of two times if the applicant completes the renewal requirements of six semester hours as prescribed by a licensing advisor. The permit will have an issue date which coincides with the receipt date of the application. All EPs expire on June 30th.

A school district may renew an EP up to two times after the educator has completed six semester hours in the content area on the permit as confirmed by his/her licensing advisor. When all program requirements are met, the educator will need to apply for licensure through his/her licensing advisor who will recommend the appropriate licensing action. If the recommendation is for an initial practitioner license, the applicant must also meet the necessary testing requirements.

The following content areas are not available for the EP:

  • Instructional: Driver & Traffic Safety
  • School Services: School Psychologist

NOTE: Failure by the educator to complete the required six semester hours of renewal work under the guidance of the licensing advisor may result in denial of the application for renewal of the EP.

The Office of Educator Licensing and Development will strictly adhere to the twelve-week deadline for submission of an application for the EP. In Section A of the Application for Emergency Permit, the school district is required to indicate the date on which the applicant’s duties began.

Additional Requirements for Communications Disorders Emergency Permits

Emergency Permits for Communication Disorders are limited to those candidates accepted and enrolled in graduate-level Speech Language Pathology program.  (511 IAC 16-4-1)

IC 25-35.6-1-8.5 Emergency communication disorder permit

Sec. 8.5.

(a) The department of education may issue an emergency communication disorder permit to an individual, as necessary, to serve the needs of students who are eligible for speech and language services under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq.).

(b) To be eligible to receive an emergency communication disorder permit, an individual must:

(1) have a bachelor's degree in speech, language, and hearing sciences or an equivalent bachelor's degree in this subject area; and

(2) be enrolled, and have submitted a verified plan of study, in a graduate program in communication disorders.

(c) An individual with an emergency communication disorder permit may not provide services beyond the scope of the individual's education and training.

(d) An individual who is issued an emergency communication disorder permit shall have accessibility to a licensed speech-language pathologist in order to collaborate on the provision of services at no additional cost to the school corporation.

(e) An individual with an emergency communication disorder permit may not use a title that states or implies that the individual is a licensed speech-language pathologist. (f) This section expires June 30, 2018.  As added by P.L.59-2007, SEC.2.

Application Materials

The required application materials for an original EP include:

  • The application – filled out on LVIS – Complete a profile, application and pay for the application through our online system, LVIS. Click here to access LVIS Information.
  • Official transcripts of all of the degrees of the applicant (not needed if the applicant holds an Indiana Educator License)
  • CPR/AED Certification 
  • After July 1, 2013-- Suicide Prevention Training Certificate. Click Here for a list of resources.
  • $35 (+processing fee) – paid through LVIS – Click here to access LVIS Information.

LVIS Information