How to Add a Content Area to an Existing License
If you apply for an additional content area and you want to renew your license at the same time, you may do so if the expiration date of your license is within 90 days. Since both actions will be completed by our office at the same time, you need only submit one $35 fee.
1. Complete a profile, application and pay for the application through our online system, LVIS. Click HERE to access LVIS information. Also, please select one of the following options:
- Submit all materials to the licensing advisor at the Indiana institution where you completed the approved program for the subject area(s) to be added.
- Submit all materials and official transcripts of the accredited out-of-state program to the Office of Educator Licensing and Development.
Please Note: Indiana will be changing testing providers in the Spring of 2014. Registration for the new Indiana CORE content assessment and pedagogy exams began on December 4, 2013. There will be a transition time and the ETS Praxis II content test(s) will be accepted until May 31, 2014. Applicants must have taken and passed the Praxis II exam(s) by May 31, 2014 in order for the exam(s) to be accepted for an addition. However, candidates may instead choose to take the appropriate Indiana CORE Assessment(s) in their content area(s) any time beginning February 10, 2014.
The following content areas are not available to add via testing. They must be accompanied with the completion of an approved/accreditated program.
- Elementary Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Fine Arts content areas (i.e. Music, Art, Theatre Arts, etc)
- Mild Interventions, Intense Interventions, Blind/Low Vision, Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- English as a New Language
The ETS Praxis II 0300 Reading Specialist test cannot be used for adding Reading to your license. Test 0300 is only available in conjunction with the Early Childhood test 0022/5022 for candidates for early childhood (P-3) licensure. To add the content area of Reading to an existing license, applicants may use Praxis II test 0204/5204 Teaching Reading as long as it has been taken and passed by May 31, 2014. Applicants may choose to use the Pearson Core Assessment 038 Reading to add Reading to an existing instructional license.
For a listing of areas you can currently add to your license by passing the Praxis II test, please review ETS' website for Indiana Approved Tests by clicking here.
For more information on the Pearson CORE Assessments, go to this link http://www.in.nesinc.com/Home.aspx
*For the area of Family and Consumer Sciences, you may add this by testing but you must also provide 4,000 hours of documented work experience in this area.
1. Complete a profile and an application and pay for the application through our online system, LVIS. Click HERE to access LVIS information. Use one of the following options to upload to your application in LVIS:
- A copy of your electronic score report sent to you by ETS/Pearson. Our office will verify the scores. Make sure you have requested scores to be sent to our office at the time you register to take the test. Scores that cannot be verified will not be processed.
- Official Examinee Score Report mailed to you by ETS/Pearson. It must be the official report; it cannot be a copy.
- Click HERE to view more information on the ETS website
- Click HERE to view more information on the Pearson Core Assessments.