How to Apply for an Emergency Permit

Posted: Mon, 09/26/2011 - 2:36pm Updated: Tue, 01/06/2015 - 3:48pm

The Office of Educator Licensing will strictly adhere to the twelve-week deadline for submission of an Emergency Permit application. The school district is required to indicate the date the applicant’s duties began.

To apply for an Emergency Permit

1. An applicant must complete both a profile and an application and pay for the application through our online Licensing Verification and Information System, LVIS. As an applicant, you must also supply the following materials:

2. A copy of your CPR/Heimlich maneuver certification. Click HERE for more information on this certification and for a list of approved providers.

3. After July 1, 2013-- Suicide Prevention Training Certificate. Click Here for a list of resources.

4. Choose the option (below) that best fits your situation and follow the corresponding instructions.

For an Original Emergency Permit:

    • If the permit is for a school administrator, submit a letter of verification of two years teaching experience under a valid Indiana teaching license.
    • Submit official transcripts that show you earned a Bachelor's Degree.

For Renewal:

    • Submit official transcripts that show you completed at least six (6) credit hours in the content area of your Emergency Permit.

For Praxis II Emergency Permit (non-renewable):

    • Submit documentation of passing scores on all required Praxis I exams. Individuals who have not passed all Praxis I exams are not eligible for an Emergency Permit.
    • Provide verification that the applicant has taken, but not passed, the appropriate Praxis II exam.

For Continuing Education Emergency Permit (non-renewable):

    • Superintendent or designee verification of applicants work history or non-instructional employment for the last three (3) years.

5. Submit official transcripts that bear the sign and/or seal of the registrar, the degree and date conferred. Provide transcripts for ALL completed coursework at ALL institutions attended. Transcripts must be included with evaluation materials.

Once your school corporation verifies your application through LVIS, your application will come to the Office of Educator Licensing for approval. Once it is approved, you will be notified via LVIS that your permit has been completed.