To teach in an accredited school in Indiana, you must hold a valid Indiana License. You will need to submit an application through IDOE's online License Verification and Information System (LVIS). Along with your application, you will need to submit several materials listed on the “Non-US Graduates - How to Apply?” page. It is important that all materials are submitted together. Otherwise, your application will be marked as pending until we receive all missing materials which will prolong your application process time.
Once your application has been received by our office, we will conduct an evaluation of your credentials to determine a) what type of Indiana License you may be eligible to receive and b) if you have any deficiencies to complete before receiving that license (if there are any requirements for licensure in Indiana that you have not yet met). Upon completion of your evaluation, you will receive a letter by e-mail detailing the results of your evaluation which is valid for three years from the date on your evaluation letter. Keep this letter as it will be an important tool in the process to receive your Indiana License.
An evaluation letter is issued to you after your application for Indiana licensure has been thoroughly reviewed. Your letter is an important document and should be kept on file for future reference. Your evaluation letter is especially important in the following scenarios:
- If you are sending any mail correspondence to the Division of Professional Standards, include a copy of your letter with your correspondence.
- If you are contacting the evaluator with any questions, have a copy of your letter in front of you.
- If you are contacting a university licensing advisor, be prepared to refer to your evaluation letter.
You MUST complete the listed deficiencies to be eligible for an original Indiana License. Once your deficiencies have been completed within the three-year time period, you need to send evidence with a copy of the evaluation letter and a $35.00 license printing fee. After you submit your materials, your application will be processed and you will receive your new license. To renew this license, please refer to the Renewal page on our website. Click HERE for information on license renewal.
- CPR-Heimlich Maneuver-AED Certification
- How to Apply
- Licensing Fees
- Teacher Testing
- What can I teach with my Indiana License?
- Areas for Evaluation
- Praxis II - Indiana requires relevant Praxis II content tests for licensure. If you have taken Praxis tests, please submit your scores to our office for review. If you have not taken the Praxis tests, you may apply without them. If you need to take a test, the test numbers will be listed in your evaluation letter.
- Official evaluation report - You must obtain an official evaluation report which translates your non-US coursework into US equivalents. The OELD requires a course-by-course evaluation and report. Contact the Educational Credential Evaluators or World Education Services to obtain this report.
Payment/Costs involved for licensure
When you apply for an original license there are 2 fees associated with the licensure: an Evaluation Fee and a License Application Fee. The initial payment will be used for the evaluation of your credentials. This fee is $35.00 (plus handling and transaction fees). After the evaluation is completed, a second payment of $35.00 (plus handling and transaction fees) will be due to issue the license. The Office of Educator Licensing will notify you when this payment is due.