You are here
Each school corporation will determine its own standards and assessments for substitute teachers. Furthermore, each school corporation will serve as the approving body of the substitute permits.
Substitute Permit Requirements
Individuals applying for substitute permits must:
- Hold a high school diploma;
- Be 18 years of age or older; and
- Meet the requirements set forth by the screening process of each school corporation. (Applicants: Please contact the school corporation you are interested in for more information.)
Once these requirements are met, applicants should apply via the Indiana Department of Education's Licensing Verification and Information System (LVIS).
- Each school corporation will recommend individuals for substitute permits through the application process. The superintendent or his/her designee will verify the applicant's employment through LVIS. Each application for a substitute certificate must be submitted through LVIS, and a $15 plus processing fee will be applied.
- The Office of Educator Licensing and Development(OELD) will issue the substitute permit in the applicant's name, and the applicant may print a copy of the permit from his or her LVIS account.
- Substitute permits will be valid for three years. The validity period begins on the date OELD receives the applicant's payment.
NOTE: A Substitute Permit is not renewable. It is valid for three years only. Once it expires, an applicant must apply for an Original Substitute Permit.
Other Important Information
- Instructions on How to Apply
- Substitute Fee: $15.00 + $1.36 = $16.32
For more information or help with applying, please email Judy Kerberg.