Workplace Specialist 1 (WS1)
Applying for Workplace Specialist I license and required training:
The newly hired Workplace Specialist I teacher must work with the CTE director to apply for the Workplace Specialist I license in the LVIS system. For LVIS instructions, please see this instruction document: Workplace Specialist 1/Originals Instructions
The newly hired teacher must register for the Workplace Specialist I training prior to the third week of August via the registration button on this website http://workplacespecialists.com/. The CTE director must assign the teacher a mentor (the mentor must be a current teacher with 5 years of teaching experience and NOT an Administrator), and the teacher, mentor and the CTE director must all work together to fill out the registration form because personal information from each individual will be required on the form. If a teacher is hired late or misses the registration deadline, the teacher can work under the Workplace Specialist I license for the first year and must register for the training the second year.
Workplace Specialist 2 (WS2)
Applying for initial Workplace Specialist II license
Upon successfully completing the Workplace Specialist I training, the teacher must work with the CTE director to apply for the initial Workplace Specialist II license via the LVIS System. The teacher will apply for a conversion of their Workplace Specialist 1 license to a Workplace Specialist 2 license. Please see this document for instructions on how to convert your WS1 to a WS2: Worplace Specialist Conversion
The teacher will need to upload the PDF document which verifies successful completion of the TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) which was previously e-mailed to the teacher and the CTE director by the Workplace Specialist I coordinator and a copy of a valid CPR/AED Training.
The Teacher will also prepare a PDP with the CTE director. The PDP will be kept in-house and will be used as a working document to track the teacher's professional development growth. Please see the Workplace Specialist PDP Guidelines and Forms website for information and guidance.
NOTE: The following university courses satisfy TABE requirements in the event the teacher was deficient in one or more content areas. The teacher must earn a B or higher:
- Math: MATH 023, 080 (Note: 080 must be taken with the co-requisite MATH 118) or any 100 level or higher
- Reading: ENGL 083, 095 (Note: some 095 course sections may require this to be taken with an ENGL 111 co-requisite. If a teacher is deficient in Reading and Writing on the TABE, 095 will satisfy both deficiencies), or 100 level or higher
- Language: ENGL 093, 095, (Note: some 095 course sections may require this to be taken with an ENGL 111 co-requisite. If a teacher is deficient in Reading and Writing on the TABE, 095 will satisfy both deficiencies), or 100 level or higher
- Math: MATH 010 or 100 level or higher
- Reading: READ 009 or 100 level or higher
- Language: ENGL 009 or 011 or 100 level or higher
- A 100 level or higher course from an accredited college or universities
PPST (Praxis 1) Minimum scores for the TABE are:
- PPST Reading 10710=176
- PPST Writing 20720=172
- PPST Mathematics 10730=175
CASA equivalent scores to the required minimum for the TABE are 220 each for all three batteries.
Note that the PPST or CASA can be used to satisfy the TABE requirements whether taken before or after the TABE administration. If taken before and the scores indicated above are achieved, these scores may be used in place of the TABE.
Workplace Specialist 2 Renewals
When applying for the renewal of Workplace Specialst II license, the teacher must work with the CTE director to create a PDP. The PDP will be kept in-house and will be used as a working document to track the teacher's professional development growth. Please see the Workplace Specialist PDP Guidelines and Forms website for information and guidance.
For LVIS instructions on how to renew your Workplace Specialist II license click here WS Renewal