Farm to School's goal is to enable every child to have access to nutritious food while simultaneously benefiting communities and local farmers. Indiana's Farm to School program draws support from a variety of organizations and interest groups because of the benefits they offer in education, health and nutrition, supporting local producers, strengthening community self-sufficiency, and in encouraging environmental sustainability.
Indiana's Farm to School Toolkit
Farm to Preschool
Farm to Summer
Background of Farm to School
- Getting Started with Farm to School
- The Benefits of Farm to School
- USDA's Farm to School Census-Healthy habits take root in Indiana.
- Indiana Farm to School Brochure
Finding Local Foods
- Farm to School Map-List of Indiana producers and school districts engaging and/or interested in farm to school.
- Hoosier Harvest Market-"Connecting Indiana Farmers with Consumers with Local Foods". Shop with us from noon on Fridays until Midnight Tuesdays.
- This Old Farm
- Piazza Produce
- Indiana Market Maker
- Producer Success Stories
Procuring and Menuing Local Foods
- 10 Facts About Local Food in School Cafeterias-This fact sheet from the USDA explains how the agency supports the procurement of local food and which programs can be used to source local.
- Optimizing Prepackaged Salads & Serving Lines with Local Foods
- Optimizing Salad Bars with Local Foods
- Procuring Local Foods Guide
- School Food Service Success Stories
- School and Produce Safety Tips
- Best Practices for Handling Fresh Produce in Schools
- Handling Fresh Produce on Salad Bars
- Food Safety Tips for School Gardens
- Minimum State Requirements
- GAP Training Dates (Good Agriculture Practices)
- Dig-In: Gardening Guide
- Got Dirt? Gardening Toolkit for Implementing Youth Gardens
- Growing a School Garden Guide
- Policy and Protocols for School Gardens and Garden to Cafeteria
- Starting and Maintaining a School Garden
Farm to School Planning Kit
- Indiana Farm to Early Care and Education
- Indiana Farm to School Network
- National Farm to School Network
- USDA Farm to School
- USDA Farm to Summer
Join Farm to School Mailing Lists
Receive weekly emails from the Indiana Farm to School Network about upcoming events, updates, resources, and funding. To join, email Maggie Schabel at email@example.com.
Receive email alerts from the National Farm to School Network and occasional mailings about events in your area. Register here (link is external) and be sure to check the mailing list box.
Indiana Farm to School Facebook Page
Like us on our Indiana Farm to School Network Facebook Page. Click here to access.
For questions about Farm to School, please contact Maggie Schabel by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at (317) 232-2130 or toll free (800) 537-1142 (ext. 22130).