Farm to School
Paramount School of Excellence MSD of Pike Township Schools
Farm to School's goal is to enable every child to have access to nutritious food while simultaneously benefiting communities and local farmers. Indiana's Farm to School program draws support from a variety of organizations and interest groups because of the benefits they offer in education, health and nutrition, supporting local producers, strengthening community self-sufficiency, and in encouraging environmental sustainability.
Indiana's Farm to School Toolkit
Farm to Preschool
Background of Farm to School
- Getting Started with Farm to School
- The Benefits of Farm to School
- USDA Farm to School Census-Healthy habits take root in Indiana.
- Indiana Farm to School Brochure
Finding, Procuring and Menuing Local Foods
- 10 Facts About Local Food in School Cafeterias-This fact sheet from the USDA explains how the agency supports the procurement of local food and which programs can be used to source local.
- Hoosier Harvest Market-"Connecting Indiana Farmers with Consumers with Local Foods". Shop with us from noon on Fridays until Midnight Tuesdays.
- This Old Farm
- Piazza Produce
- Indiana Market Maker
- Finding, Buying and Serving Local Foods: Introduction to Procurement-USDA's Food and Nutrition Service webinar, recorded on January 9, 2014, covers basic procurement fundamentals relevant to the Federal Child Nutrition Programs. Topics included informal and formal procurement methods and maintaining competition. Watch the recording here. You can also access a PDF of the slides here and a handout with general procurement resources here.
- Finding, Buying and Serving Local Foods: Finding Local Producers, February 13, 2014-USDA's Food and Nutrition Service webinar, recorded on February 13, 2014, discusses the variety of ways that schools can connect with local farmers, ranchers, and other food businesses. Watch the recording here. You can also access a PDF of the slides here and a handout with helpful resources here.
- Menus & Recipes-Kid and school-tested recipes.
- Optimizing Prepackaged Salads & Serving Lines with Local Foods
- Optimizing Salad Bars with Local Foods
- Procuring Local Foods Guide
- School and Produce Safety Tips
- Best Practices for Handling Fresh Produce in Schools
- Handling Fresh Produce on Salad Bars
- Food Safety Tips for School Gardens
- Minimum State Requirements
- GAP Training Dates (Good Agriculture Practices)
- Dig-In: Gardening Guide
- Got Dirt? Gardening Toolkit for Implementing Youth Gardens
- Growing a School Garden Guide
- Policy and Protocols for School Gardens and Garden to Cafeteria
- Starting and Maintaining a School Garden
Farm to School Planning Kit
- USDA's Farm to School
- National Farm to School Network
- Indiana Farm to School Network
- Indiana Farm to Preschool
Join the National Farm to School Network's Mailing List
Receive e-mail alerts from the National Farm to School Network and occasional mailings about events in your area. Register here and be sure to check the mailing list box.
Indiana Farm to School Facebook Page
Like us on our Indiana Farm to School Network Facebook Page. Click here to access.
For questions about Farm to School, please contact Maggie Schabel by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at (317) 232-2130 or toll free (800) 537-1142 (ext. 22130).