Team Nutrition, an initiative of the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food and nutrition service, supports national efforts to promote lifelong healthy food choices and physical activity by improving the nutrition practices of the Child Nutrition Programs.
- We provide resources for schools, child care, and summer meal sites that participate in USDA’s Child Nutrition programs. Check out the USDA Team Nutrition Website.
- Use The Healthy Meals Resource System to locate appropriate and useful online training materials for child care providers and school nutrition personnel.
- The foundation for teaching children lifelong eating and physical activity habits is The Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate.
- Sign up here to be Team Nutrition School and receive free education materials for all ages.
New Resources from Indiana’s Team Nutrition Grants
- 2013 Team Nutrition Grant:
Videos showcase how schools implemented Smarter Lunchroom Principles (SLP) and improved the school environment through the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms (HUSSC: SL). View videos from Indiana schools highlighting their success.
- 2014 Team Nutrition Grant:
Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) Teachers, Food Service Departments, and students in Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) use SLP to promote healthy eating and teach nutrition throughout the school.
HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms (HUSSC: SL)
The HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms is a voluntary initiative established in 2004 to recognize schools participating in the National School Lunch Program that have created healthier school environments through promotion of nutrition and physical activity. USDA Helps Schools Make Lunchrooms "Smarter". Take the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms using the 2014 Criteria and Guidance.
Click HERE to View Indiana's HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms Video Series!
Use the following resources in applying for the HUSSC: SL.
- Training resources to assist school districts in pursuing the USDA Healthier US School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms (HUSSC: SL)
- Tips from Award Winners
- Nutrition Education
- More HUSSC: SL Resources
Special Dietary Needs
- Managing Food Allergies Power Point (July 2014)
- Free ICN Training on Food Allergies
- Staff Training: Food Allergies & Anaphylaxis in School, What School Staff Need to Know-Brochure
- Resources on Managing Food Allergies: From 2014 SNA ANC Pre-Conference
- Outline for Feeding Students with Special Dietary Needs (Sept 2012)
Additional Information and Resources
This publication showcases best practices from schools that implemented GameOn! The Ultimate Wellness Challenge. This new resource highlights fun and engaging nutrition and physical activities conducted in forty Indiana schools with funding from a 2009 USDA Team Nutrition Grant. Game On! is a program that challenges schools to incorporate healthy food choices and physical activity into the daily lives of their students. Hoosier Champions is divided into sections representing different activities or events (Food Tasting, Nutrition Education, School Year Kick Off, Outdoor Physical Activity/Fitness, Family Events, School Clubs, Community Events, Before School Events, Outdoor Physical Activity/Fitness and Engaging Celebrities/Professional Sports Teams).