Public Hearings (Year 5)
Public Hearings are required under 511 IAC 6.2-8-2(a) for schools that are subject to IC 20-31-9-4.
The State Board of Education (SBOE) places schools into 1 of 5 categories (A, B, C, D, F) based on measured performance and academic growth per IC 20-31-8-3.
If a school receives an “F” in the fourth year after initial placement in the lowest category (year 5 of F), the SBOE shall require a public hearing. The public hearing is to determine what steps may be taken in the event that the school receives another “F” in the fifth year after initial placement in the lowest category (year 6 of F), at which time the SBOE may designate the school a turnaround academy under SBOE intervention.
SBOE Final Determination Options to be considered at a public hearing - IC 20-31-9-4(b)
Prior to taking any intervention action, the SBOE shall hold a public hearing in the school corporation where the school is located to consider and hear testimony concerning the following options for school improvement:
- Merge the school with a nearby school that is in a higher category.
- Assign a special management team to operate all or part of the school.
- Approve the school’s plan to create a transformation zone.
- Approve the school’s plan to create an innovation network school.
- The Department of Education’s recommendations for improvement.
- Other options for school improvement expressed at this public hearing.
- Closing the school.