You are here
Rights of School and Police Personnel: Managing Your School Environment
The St. Joseph County School Safety Commission and the Indiana School Safety Specialist Academy
Dr. John More, President and CEO of Response Law, Inc.
Dr. More is a former litigation attorney who has been training school and police personnel nationwide since 1997. Dr. More has been appointed as the exclusive legal consultant and trainer for the New Jersey Association of School Resource Officers, and is the legal instructor for the Virginia Center for School Safety, where he provides training statewide for all school administrators, SRO’s, and school security personnel in all aspects of school safety, discipline, and law enforcement strategies.
Topics to be Covered Include:
- Daily Rights of School Personnel and Police Officers - Who’s in charge, when and why for intervention, interrogation, search, discipline, custody, arrest and student resistance
- What About the Parents - Independent legal authority of schools and police to act first and notify later. Tactics for dealing with the legal challenge from parents after the fact. How to operate without parental interference.
- The Balancing Test - The practical side of the law that’s in your favor. What courts are looking for in your daily discipline and law enforcement operations. Tactics and strategies from your peers.
- Legal Protection Under State Law - Separating myth from reality. Why cases often settle too early and unnecessarily. Good news on your true legal protection—qualified immunity.
- Risk Reduction Methods - How to effectively utilize cameras, tape recorders, metal detectors, body wands and K-9. How to reduce risk even if you can’t afford them.
There is no cost for this training. Professional Growth Points, CEU’s and Law Enforcement hours will be available.
Thursday, February 4, 2016
Penn High School Center for Performing Arts
56100 Bittersweet Road
Mishawaka, IN 46546
School administrators, school staff, school resource officers, law enforcement
Registration begins at 8:00 a.m.
Training hours will be 8:30-3:30, with a one hour break for lunch
Lunch will not be provided.
Click here if you have problems with this form.