Indicator 12 - Early Childhood Transition
Indicator 12 is a Compliance Indicator.
Percent of children referred by Part C prior to age 3, who are found eligible for Part B, and who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) developed and implemented by their third birthdays. (20 U.S.C. 1416(a)(3)(B))
a. # of children who have been served in Part C and referred to Part B for eligibility determination.
b. # of those referred determined to be NOT eligible and whose eligibilities were determined prior to their third birthdays.
c. # of those found eligible who have an IEP developed and implemented by their third birthdays.
d. # of children for whom parent refusal to provide consent caused delays in evaluation or initial services or to whom exceptions under 34 CFR §300.301(d) applied.
e. # of children who were referred to Part C less than 90 days before their third birthdays.
Account for children included in a but not included in b, c, d, or e. Indicate the range of days beyond the third birthday when eligibility was determined and the IEP developed and the reasons for the delays.
Percent = [(c) ÷ (a – b – d – e)] x 100
The target for Indicator 12 is 100%
- Data: Collected through the DOE-EV (Evaluation) report compelted June 30.
- Verification: If necessary, the IDOE may verify data with the LEA in September.
- Findings of Noncompliance: Issued in November
- Corrective Action Plan: Due approximately 60 days after findings are issued. In addition, all outstanding noncompliant initial evaluations must be completed, although late, pursuant to US-DOE Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) Memorandum 09-02.
Information and Guidance
- In Indiana, Part C of IDEA is monitored through First Steps within the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration.
- Early Childhood Transition FAQ created by OSEP
- Initial Educational Evaluation Memo, issued March 21, 2012, provides information regarding allowable exceptions for missed timelines for Indicators 11 and 12 as outlined in Article 7.
- When a finding is issued for Indicator 12, an LEA is required to complete a Self Assessment and Corrective Action Plan.
- DOE-EV Report layout and instructions: This is located on the Learning Connection in the "IDOE - Data Collection and Reporting" Community, under the "Files and Bookmarks" tab, in the "Evaluation" folder.
- Indicator 12 in the Compliance/Performance Monitoring Guide
- Indicator 12 in the FFY 2010 APR(Part B Annual Performance Report): Details about Indiana's statewide results
- How Indicator 12 affects Local Determination Scores: Description of points included in the calculation of an LEA's Local Determination based on percentage for Indicator 12
Indiana Resource Network
The Effective Evaluation Resource Center provides assistance areas taht affect Indicator 12 as well as the following resources:
- Ongoing Assessment and Child Documentation of Preschool Students recorded webinar with Sally Reed Crawford and Presenation Slides.