Indicator 5 - Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
Indicator 5 is a Performance Indicator.
Percent of children with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) aged 6 through 21 served:
A. Inside the general education class 80% or more of the day;
B. Inside the general education class less than 40% of the day; and
C. In separate schools, residential facilities or homebound/hospital placements.
(20 U.S.C. 1416(a)(3)(A))
A. Percent = [(# of children with IEPs served inside the general education class 80% or more of the day) ÷ (total # of students aged 6 through 21 with IEPs)] x 100
B. Percent = [(# of children with IEPs served inside the general education class less than 40% of the day) ÷ (total # of students aged 6 through 21 with IEPS) x 100
C. Percent = [(# of children with IEPs served in separate schools, residential facilities or homebound/hospital placements) ÷ (total # of students aged 6 through 21 with IEPs)] x 100
- Data: Collected through the DOE-SE (Special Education) report on December 1 and submitted to the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) via 618 Table 3 in February. For findings, this data is used in conjunction with information gathered during Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) monitoring visits.
- Findings of Noncompliance: Issued after an LRE monitoring visit occurs as part of an LRE Desk Audit.
- Corrective Action Plan: Due approximately 60 days after findings are issued
Information and Guidance
- Each LEA is on a yearly rotation for monitoring LRE, Fiscal Audits, and Procedural Audits. The rotation list is available on the Monitoring page.
- The LRE Monitoring IEP Review Rubric is used to review IEPs as part of an LRE Desk Audit.
- Memo form US-DOE Office of Special Education Programs regarding Preschool LRE requirements and placement, February 2012.
- DOE-SE Report layout and instructions: This is located on the Learning Connection in the "IDOE - Data Collection and Reporting" Community, under the "Files and Bookmarks" tab, in the "Special Education" folder.
- Indicator 5 in the FFY 2010 APR (Part B Annual Performance Report): Details about Indiana's statewide results.
- Indicator 5 affects Local Determination scores if noncompliance is not corrected. Please see Indicator 15 for more information.
Indiana Resource Network
The following Resource Centers provide assistance and information with subjects that affect Indicator 5:
- The HANDS in Autism Resource Center
- Indiana Center for Assessment and Instruction (ICAI)
- The Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports Indiana Resource Center (PBIS-IN)
- The Indiana IEP Resource Center also provides many resources for Indicator 5 and LRE including informative documents, presentations and podcasts on the Resource Center's website.