Laws, Rules and Interpretations
511 IAC Article 7 - commonly referred to as simlply "Article 7" -- contains Indiana's Special Education rules. The most recent version, updated in December 2014, is available in English. The 2008 Spanish version of Article 7 is currently being updated.
Navigating the Course: Finding Your Way Through Indiana’s Special Education Rules
Navigating the Course: Finding your way through Indiana's Special Education Rules was written to provide an overview and a practical resource to help parents, advocates, school personnel, and students understand the requirements of Indiana’s special education rules, found at 511 IAC 7-32 through 48, commonly known as Article 7. It is intended to serve as a companion guide to Article 7, replacing the previous Live, Learn, Work, and Play document and is not a substitute for Article 7. Please refer to Article 7 for the specific language of the special education rules.
Procedural Safeguards and Parent Rights
- Indiana Department of Education SAMPLE Notice of Procedural Safeguards and Parent Rights in Special Education (effective August 2010) English Spanish
- Indiana Department of Education SAMPLE Notice of Procedural Safeguards and Parent Rights in Special Education (including Annual Notice for Medicaid Consent) effective July 1, 2013 English Spanish
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA): A civil rights law to prohibit discrimination solely on the basis of disability in employment, public services, and accommodations.
- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004
- IDEA - 2006 Regulations
- IDEA: Guide to Frequently Asked Questions
- The NEW IDEA: Council for Exceptional Children's Summary of Significant Issues
- Top 20 List of Changes to IDEA
- No Child Left Behind (NCLB)
- Office of Civil Rights: "Protecting Students with Disabilities"
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973