Federal law makes Medicaid reimbursement available for health-related services that schools provide to meet the educational needs of students with disabilities. By law, Medicaid claiming for Individualized Education Program (IEP) services cannot affect the student’s Medicaid eligibility or benefits. Approximately 140 Indiana public school corporations claim Medicaid reimbursement for covered IEP services (such as physical therapy, nursing and audiology) subject to parental consent. Additionally, nearly 100 public school corporations participate in school-based Medicaid Administrative Claiming to recover costs of administrative activities that school staff perform to help address students’ unmet healthcare needs. Federal Medicaid funds from both programs help local schools defray costs associated with administrative activities as well as equipment, supplies, professional development and specialized training required to comply with the federal Special Education mandate.
- Indiana Medicaid Helps Schools Cover the Cost of Some Health Care Services in Student IEPs
- Medicaid in Schools Newsletters
- School Corp Medicaid Reimbursements Report –SFY 2014 Final: IEP (Tab 1) & MAC (Tab 2)
Announcements, Bulletins and Topic-Specific Questions/Answers
- Medicaid Claims Announcement for Medicaid-Participating School Corporations - March 2011
- Medicaid Speech Coverage Policy Q&A
- Memo to Special Education Directors concerning Medicaid PERM audits - January 2008
- National Correct Coding Initiative Q&A
- Indiana MAC Time Study Participant Manual - Updated December 2011
- Medicaid Billing Guidebook - Updated July 2011 - The Guidebook is a general overview to orient schools to the Medicaid program in general and to billing Medicaid for health-related services schools provide to students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs).
- Medicaid Billing Tool Kit, Fourteenth Edition - Updated January 2014 - The Tool Kit discusses Indiana Medicaid billing requirements for covered health-related services in a student’s IEP. It includes general billing guidelines for all IEP services, as well as coverage limitations, Medicaid provider qualifications and other billing details applicable to each type of Medicaid-covered IEP service.
- Update Log for the 14th Edition of the Medicaid Billing Tool Kit - Updated January 2014 - Follow the instructions on the Update Log to add and remove pages from your paper copy of the Tool Kit.
Sample Forms and Parent Information Sheets
- Request for Consent to Bill Medicaid - English
- Request for Consent to Bill Medicaid - Spanish
- School-Based Medicaid Billing - Parent Brochure
- School-Based Medicaid Billing - Parent Brochure - Spanish