State Advisory Council on the Education of Children with Disabilities (SAC)
The Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA 2004) at 34 CFR § 300.167-169 and state law IC 20-35-3 require Indiana to maintain a State Advisory Council to assist the State on the education of students with disabilities. Members of the State Advisory Council must be citizens of Indiana who are representative of the state's population and selected on the basis of their involvement in or concern with the education of children with disabilities. A majority of the members must be individuals with disabilities or the parents of children with disabilities. Members must also include teachers, state and local education officials, program administrators, representatives of various state agencies, representatives of higher education institutions that prepare special education and related service personnel, representatives of nonpublic schools, and representatives of vocational, community, or business organizations concerned with the provision of transitional services to children with disabilities.
- To advise the state superintendent of public instruction and the state board of education regarding all rules pertaining to children with disabilities.
- To recommend approval or rejection of completed comprehensive plans for delivery of special education and related services submitted by school corporations acting individually or on a joint school services program basis with other corporations.
- To advise the department of education of unmet needs within the state in the education of children with disabilities.
- To comment publicly on any rules or regulations proposed by the state board of education regarding the education on children with disabilities;
- To advise the department of education in developing evaluations and reporting data to the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education under 20 U.S.C. 1418;
- To advise the department of education in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in federal monitoring reports under U.S.C. §1400 et seq.; and,
- To advise the department of education in developing and implementing policies related to the coordination of services for children with disabilities.
Meetings dates are listed below. All meetings of the State Advisory Council on the Education of Children with Disabilities (“SAC”) are open to the public, and a 48-hour advance notice of each meeting is posted in the reception area of the Indiana Department of Education offices located at 115 West Washington Street, South Tower, Suite 600, Indianapolis, Indiana. SAC meetings begin at 9:30 a.m. and are held at the Central Indiana Education Service Center, 6036 Lakeside Boulevard, Indianapolis, Indiana, unless otherwise noted on the agenda for the meeting date. Approximately two weeks prior to the meeting date, an agenda for the upcoming meeting is posted farther below. If you have input to share with the State Advisory Council on the Education of Children with Disabilities, please click this “Contact the Council” link to submit the information.
2016 Meeting Dates
- November 10, 2016
- September 8, 2016
- June 9, 2016
- March 10, 2016
A summary of each meeting is posted following council approval at a subsequent meeting. Beginning in 2014, each summary includes copies of the meeting materials shared with council members.
Prior Year's Meeting Summaries
- A copy of the agenda is posted here approximately two weeks prior to each Council meeting. The schedule of 2016 meetings is above.