- Concussion Law (IC 20-34-7)
- SEA 234 (Additions made to the Concussion Law in 2016)
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Law (IC 20-34-8)
The Concussion Law and the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Law both apply to student athletes who participate in interscholastic sports. Following the requirements in these laws is recommended, but is not mandatory for intramural or club sports. The Concussion Law applies to student athletes in grades 5-12 and the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Law applies to student athletes under the age of 18. More information can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions Documents posted below.
Schools should select the form that best matches their student population by clicking on the concussion websites listed below. Once the appropriate concussion fact sheets for student athletes and parents have been found, they should be paired with the sudden cardiac arrest fact sheets listed below. Per IC 20-34-7 and IC 20-34-8, these fact sheets must be given to the student athlete and the parent, and both the athlete and the parent must sign and return a form acknowledging the receipt of the information to the student athlete’s coach. A sample acknowledgement form is also posted below. Schools should develop a policy regarding distribution of these forms through printed or electronic means, obtaining electronic or written signatures, and the process for monitoring the completion and returning of forms.
- Concussion Fact Sheet for High School Student Athletes
- Concussion Fact Sheet for Youth Student Athletes
- Concussion Fact Sheet for High School Parents
- Concussion Fact Sheet for Youth Parents
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Fact Sheet for Student Athletes
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Fact Sheet for Parents
- Parent and Student Athlete Acknowledgement and Signature Form
Return to Play Protocols
As part of a school policy, schools should develop procedures regarding return to play protocols for student athletes exhibiting symptoms of a concussion or sudden cardiac arrest. Once schools develop these procedures, the following sample forms may be used.
- Sample Concussion Return to Play Form for Providers
- Sample Suspected Sudden Cardiac Arrest Symptoms Documentation Sheet for Schools
- Sample Sudden Cardiac Arrest Return to Play Form for Parents
Concussion Certification Course for Coaches (excluding football)
Before coaching a student athlete, in grades 5-12, in any interscholastic sport, a head coach and every assistant coach must complete a certified coaching education course that contains player safety content on concussion awareness. The head coach or assistant coach must complete a test demonstrating comprehension of the content of the course, and a certificate of completion must be awarded to each coach that successfully completes the course. The following courses have been approved by the Indiana Department of Education as meeting the requirements of SEA 234.
Concussion Certification Courses for Football Coaches
Prior to coaching football to individuals who are less than twenty (20) years of age and are in grades 1 through 12, each head football coach and assistant football coach are required to complete a certified coaching education course that contains concussion awareness, equipment fitting, heat emergency preparedness, and proper technique. Each coach is required to complete a test demonstrating comprehension of the content of the course and obtain a certificate upon successful completion of the course requirements. The following are a list of courses that have been approved by the Indiana Department of Education as meeting the requirements of IC 20-34-7-6.
- USA Football
- Course Name – “High School Coaching Certification”
- Link to Course – https://usafootball.com/programs/national-team/coach/
- Contact for Assistance – email@example.com or call (317) 614-7752
- National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS)
- Name and Link to Courses – Three separate courses must be taken and three certificates must be obtained in order to meet the requirements of IC 20-34-7-6
- Sport Safety International (SSI)
- Course Name – “Indiana Football Coaches Safety Course”
- Link to Course – www.SportSafetyInternational.org/Indiana-Football
- Contact for Assistance - www.sportsafetyinternational.org/technical-support-learners/ or via e-mail at: learningsupport@SportSafetyInternational.org
- Other – please continue to check this site regularly, as more courses may be added in the future