During the 2017 legislative session, the General Assembly passed SEA 355 and SEA 447, which require the department of education to provide materials and guidelines by July 1, 2018.
Additionally, the new legislation expands the grade levels for child abuse and child sexual abuse education in schools to Kindergarten through grade 12 (previously the law required education in grades 2-5).
Finally, school corporation, charter school, and accredited nonpublic school employees who have direct, ongoing contact with children are required to attend or participate in training on child abuse and neglect at least once every two years.
Model Educational Materials
- Warning Signs
- Basic Principles of Child Abuse Prevention
- Methods of Student, Teacher, and Parental Education and Outreach
- Child Abuse Prevention & Response Training Videos
Response Policies and Reporting Procedures
- School Protocol for Reporting Allegations of Child Abuse in Indiana please note that this document will be reviewed in 2017-18
- DCS Policies and Reporting Procedures for Child Abuse and Child Sexual Abuse (for general public)
- Don’t Wait! Make the Call (a DCS training video)
IDOE and DCS Response to P.L. 46-2012
During the 2012 legislative session, the General Assembly passed SEA 267, and the Governor signed IC 20-19-3-11 into law, which required a response from the department of education, in collaboration with the department of child services and organizations that have expertise in child abuse. The information and resources included on this page meet the requirements of this legislation.
* In response to P.L. 46-2012 11 (e), it should be noted that as the Department of Education and Department of Child Services chose to identify (as opposed to develop) model educational materials, the requirement to inform parent's and require permission to use such materials will be determined by the local school corporation policy.
- Research and Evidence-based Programs
- Ethical & Professional Guidelines for School Professionals
- Victim Assistance
- Vermont’s Sexual Violence Prevention Technical Assistance Resource Guide
- P.L. 46-2012 Committee Members
- Human Trafficking
- Human Trafficking Training – IN Child Welfare Education Partnership
- Sexual Predator Video