Indiana’s performance-based accreditation system (IC 20-21-4.1) applies to all public schools, including charter schools, and any nonpublic that voluntarily seeks and is granted state accreditation under the performance-based system. A school shall be accredited under the performance-based system if the school meets legal standards, as determined by the Indiana State Board of Education.
The Indiana State Board of Education is charged with adopting rules to establish and implement the performance-based accreditation system. This process is in its initial stages of development.
Accredited Indiana Virtual Schools
The following online virtual schools are currently accredited by the Indiana State Board of Education:
- Achieve Virtual Education Academy (Public School, M S D Wayne Township)
- Greater Clark Virtual Academy (Public School, Greater Clark County Schools)
- Indiana Connections Academy (Charter School, authorized by Ball State)
- Indiana Connections Career Academy (Charter School, authorized by Ball State)
- Indiana Digital Elementary (Public School, Union School Corporation)
- Indiana Digital JR and High School (Public School, Union School Corporation)
- Indiana Gateway Digital Academy (Public School, Clarksville Community School Corporation)
- Insight School of Indiana (Charter School, authorized by Ball State)
- Options Indiana Charter School (Charter School, authorized by Ball State)
- Phalen Virtual Leadership Academy (Charter School, authorized by Trine/Education One)
- Vigo Virtual School Academy (Public School, Vigo County School Corporation)
Information on the performance and progress of these virtual schools may be found at https://inview.doe.in.gov. Specific questions regarding a virtual school’s accreditation status and academic programming may be directed to the specific online provider.
Third-Party Accreditation for Nonpublic Schools
A nonpublic school in Indiana may be recognized by the Indiana State Board of Education if the school holds accreditation with one or more of the following entities:
- Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges, and Universities (AASDAS)
- American Association of Christian Schools (AACS)
- Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
- Christian Schools International (CSI)
- Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
- International Christian Accrediting Association (ICAA)
- National Lutheran Schools Accreditation (NLSA)
- North Central Association (NCA)/ AdvancED
Accrediting organizations for K-12 schools that are interested in being recognized may submit a petition to the State Board of Education for consideration. The notice of intent to submit a petition must be submitted between August 1 and September 1 prior to the school year for which the organization seeks recognition. Questions on this process may be submitted to email@example.com.