Vision and Purpose
Formative assessments and the use of their data to guide classroom instruction at the individual student level result in increased academic success. Indiana’s Formative Assessment Grant provides funding to schools for formative assessment programs, tools, and professional development in order to increase data-driven instructional practices and enrich learning for all students.
All Indiana public school corporations, charter schools, and accredited nonpublic schools (including choice schools) are eligible to apply for this grant. Assessment programs and tools are targeted for students in grades K through 10.
Allowable Uses of Funds
- Approved English/Language Arts and/or Math formative assessment programs
- Professional development to assist staff with formative assessment implementation and use of assessment data
- Diagnostic analysis of student performance
- Student performance reports and analysis for teachers and parents
- Differentiated learning tools for educators, students, and parents that support areas of instructional need
2018-2019 Information for Schools
- 2018-2019 Formative Grant Timeline of Important Dates for Schools
- 2018-2019 Formative Assessment Grant Overview
- Approved Formative Assessment Program List (2017-2018 and 2018-2019)
2017-2018 Information for Schools
- Formative Assessment Grant Online Portal
- Timeline of Important Dates
- Formative Assessment Grant Overview
2017-2018 Information for Assessment Program Vendors
- Formative Assessment Program Approval Process
- Formative Assessment Program Criteria
- Formative Assessment Program Rubric
Research reveals that formative assessment practices increase student knowledge, skills, conceptualization, and motivation, resulting in increased learning gains and growth. The Department is providing professional development opportunities and supports for teachers and administrators. These resources will assist schools in understanding and implementing formative assessment practices to make more informed instructional decisions and increase student growth.
Chart is a modified version of Learning Progressions from the Iowa Department of Education.
Targeting Student Needs using Formative Assessment I
This training introduces formative assessment by building foundational understanding of formative and summative assessment practices. The Learning Progression Guided by Formative Assessment process is explained and explored. Interviews with teachers and clips of classroom practice show formative assessment and targeted instruction in action. This is the first in a series of training presentations surrounding data-driven instruction and formative practices.
- Download PowerPoint with media files
- Download PowerPoint without media files
- Watch the Recorded Training
- Conference Record-Keeping Sheet
- Standards Checklist
Targeting Student Needs using Formative Assessment II
The purpose of this training is to explore a self-reflective rubric for formative practices and provide educators with ideas for formative strategies that can be used in the classroom.
Office of Student Assessment