The purpose of the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) program is to measure student achievement beginning in Grade 10. ISTEP+ is the high school accountability assessment for Indiana through School Year 2019-2020 and also serves as a Graduation Qualifying Exam (GQE) for students in cohorts 2019- 2022.
Students in Grade 10 must participate in the ISTEP+ Grade 10 Mathematics and English/Language Arts assessments. Students in cohorts 2019-2022 may participate in ISTEP+ Mathematics and English/Language Arts retest as needed in order to fulfill graduation requirements.
ISTEP+ assesses student achievement levels in English/Language Arts and Mathematics according to the Indiana Academic Standards that were adopted by the Indiana State Board of Education in 2014.
All Grade 10 students will test during the First Administration window. This window is specific for grade 10 students taking the exam for the first time. It is broken into two distinct parts.
- ISTEP+ Grade 10 First Administration Spring Part 1: February 24 - March 20, 2020
- ISTEP+ Grade 10 First Administration Spring Part 2: April 6 - May 1, 2020
ISTEP+ retest windows are also available. Schools are required to offer all retest windows to students who may need to participate to complete graduation requirements. Students are not legally required to participate in any given retest window.
- Summer 2019 Retest: July 22 - August 16, 2019
- Winter 2019 Retest: November 4 - December 6, 2019
- Spring 2020 Retest: February 3 - February 28, 2020
The assessments are administered in two parts. Part 1 consists of Applied Skills (open-ended) items and Part 2 includes multiple-choice and technology-enhanced items. Both Part 1 and Part 2 are required components of the ISTEP+ program and are used to measure student mastery of the Indiana Academic Standards.
- The best preparation for any assessment is strong standards-based instruction. Talk to your local school about their plan for instruction and about options for additional support for students if needed.
- The Department offers several resources to help students understand what the ISTEP+ assessment is like.
- ISTEP+ Experience (Online sample test) - Coming Soon!
- Sample Items for English/Language Arts and Mathematics provide examples of what types of questions are on the assessment.
- Performance Level Descriptors for English/Language Arts and Mathematics give details about the content and skills that students must demonstrate to pass the assessment.
- Released Items for English/Language Arts and Mathematics demonstrate how Indiana scores open-ended items (such as the writing prompt) using actual student responses.
- 2019 English Language Arts Released Items
Contact your local school for information about accessing your student’s results. Talk to your child’s teacher and guidance counselor about what the results mean and how to use results to inform next instructional steps for your child.