The purpose of ISTAR-KR (Indiana Standards Tool for Alternate Reporting of Kindergarten Readiness) is to measure skills in children from infancy to kindergarten. A derivative of Indiana's Early Learning Standards (which are part of the Foundations to Indiana Academic Standards), ISTAR-KR is aligned to the Indiana Standards for kindergarten in the areas of English/Language Arts and Mathematics and includes three functional areas: physical, personal care and social-emotional skills. Data from ISTAR-KR assessments are used for state reporting for PK students receiving special education. The assessment can be used for local purposes for grades PK through 1.
This web-based instrument is rated by teachers based on their ongoing observations of children engaged in typical daily routines and activities. It is available to all public schools in Indiana and to private early childhood education programs at no cost. Assessment results from ISTAR-KR can be used to determine which skills a child has mastered and to identify the skills a student needs to learn next.
This ISTAR-KR information applies solely to public and private preschool programs using Learning Connection.
- IAEYC Conference 2013: Authentic Assessment: Classroom Practices
- ISTAR Kindergarten Readiness Matrix - English/Language Arts
- ISTAR Kindergarten Readiness Matrix - Mathematics
- Parent Instructions - Children in Special Education
- Performance Level Descriptors
- Preschool Admin Jumpstart Guide for ISTAR KR in LC
- Preschool Educator Jumpstart Guide for ISTAR KR in LC
This ISTAR-KR information applies solely to community-based preschools such as licensed childcare centers, family childcare homes, legally licensed exempt programs, and registered ministries.
- Community-Based Preschool Administrator’s Jumpstart Guide
- Community-Based Preschool Educator’s Jumpstart Guide
- Getting Started with ISTAR-KR
- Community-Based Preschool ISTAR-KR Access
- ISTAR-KR School Creation and Administrator Form (Updated 8-2016)
- ISTAR-KR SPN Creation for Staff (Updated 8-2017)
- ISTAR-KR STN Creation for Students (Updated 8-2017)
- ISTAR-KR Consent Form English | Spanish
- Parent Instructions - Community Early Childhood Education Programs
- Technical Assistance for ISTAR-KR
Private Preschools Contact:
Early Learning Specialist
Office of Early Learning and Intervention
Public Schools Contact:
Special Programs Assessment Specialist
Office of Student Assessment
Special Education Preschool Contact:
Early Learning Special Education Specialist
Office of Special Education