World Language Educators on the Learning Connection
For more information and resources for teachers delivered to your inbox, please join the IDOE - World Languages and Cultures Community on the Learning Connection. By joining this community, you will be sent announcements with scholarship opportunities, professional development opportunities and classroom ideas that may be immediately applicable to your classroom or applicable to students in your classes. For instructions on how to register, please click here.
Professional Development & Resources
|Personal Professional Development and Advocacy||May 2017|
|Teaching the Communities Standard||April 2017|
|Presentational Mode - Writing||March 2017|
|Presentational Mode - Speaking||February 2017|
|Interpersonal Mode – Speaking||January 2017|
|Interpersonal Mode - Writing||December 2016|
|Interpretive Mode-Listening and Viewing||November 2016|
|Reading in the WL Classroom||October 2016|
|Teacher Evaluation||September 2016|
|90% Target Language||August 2016|
|Travel Opportunities||June-July 2016|
|Summer Prep||May 2016|
|Authentic Audiences||April 2016|
|Path to Proficiency||March 2016|
Blendspaces: A blendspace is an online module with presentation materials, videos, links and documents embedded all related to a particular topic.
Symbaloo Webmixes: A Symbaloo webmix is a single webpage that one can bookmark where a series of links can be housed and organized surrounding a particular topic. When the author updates the webmix, anyone with the link will see the updated version.
Indiana Academic Standards for World Languages
|World Languages and International Education|
|Introduction and Overview 2013||03/10/2014|
|American Sign Language K-12 2013||03/26/2015|
|American Sign Language High Level 2013||03/26/2015|
|East Asian Languages 2013||03/18/2014|
|Modern European and Classical 2013||03/18/2014|
|Heritage Language Learners||08/22/2014||Excel|
|Workplace Spanish Standards||05/01/2018|
|Content Area Literacy Standards Grades 6-12||08/28/2017|
World Language Resources
- ACTFL’s Proficiency Guidelines for World Languages
- NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-do Statements & Benchmarks
- ACTFL Performance Descriptors for Language Learners
- America’s Languages: Investing in Language Education for the 21st Century – A report commissioned by a bipartisan group of members of Congress in 2014 published by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2017
- Lead with Languages – A website dedicated to promoting language learning at all levels compiling resources demonstrating the value of a variety of languages
- The State of Languages in the U.S.: A Statistical Portrait – A statistical portrait of the nation’s current language capacity with a focus on the U.S. education system
- LinguaFolio® is a learner-directed portfolio assessment instrument designed to support individuals in setting and achieving their goals for learning languages
- World Languages Links & Resources
Professional Organizations – World Languages
- The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages is the only national organization dedicated to the improvement and expansion of the teaching and learning of all languages at all levels of instruction.
- The National Council for State Supervisors of Foreign Languages is the national organization supporting national professional development and advocacy done at the state level. Find reports from all participating states, guidance documents for world language instruction and access to LinguaFolio® on this site.
- The Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages is a regional foreign language organization that serves 17 Midwestern states through its annual spring conference.
- The Indiana Foreign Language Teachers Association promotes the teaching and learning of world languages and cultures in Indiana by providing professional development opportunities for world language instructors and advocating for policies that advance world language instruction.
- The Indiana Network for Early Language Learning focuses on providing professional development, support and resources for world language teachers in grades K-8.
Professional Organizations – Language-specific
- AATF: AATF Indiana | AATF National
American Association of Teachers of French, Indiana Chapter
- AATF-NW: AATF Indiana Northwest | AATF National
American Association of Teachers of French, Indiana Northwest Chapter
- AATG: AATG Indiana | AATG National
American Association of Teachers of German
- AATSP: AATSP Indiana| AATSP National
American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese
- AITJ: ATJ Indiana | ATJ National
Association of Indiana Teachers of Japanese
- ASLTA: Willard ASLTA | ASLTA
American Sign Language Teachers Association, Indiana Chapter Willard ASLTA
- CLTA-IN: CLTA-IN | CLTA National
Chinese Language Teachers Association of Indiana
- ICC: ICC Indiana | American Classical League
Indiana Classical Conference
- IN-NELL: IN-NELL Indiana | NNELL National
Indiana Chapter of the National Network for Early Language Learning