This page highlights English Learner-related policy decisions and legislative guidance from the Indiana Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Education. For a basic overview of the federal and local requirements schools and districts must adhere to for their English Learners, please visit EL101.
IDOE English Learner Guidance - General
- IDOE English Learner Guidebook
- Chapter 1: An Introduction to English Learners
- Chapter 2: Identifying English Learn
- Chapter 3: Serving English Learners
- Chapter 4: Assessing English Learners
- Chapter 5: Supporting Former English Learners
- Chapter 6: Engaging English Learner Families
- Chapter 7: Funding English Learner Programs
- Appendix A: Additional Resources and Sample Forms
- Appendix B: Glossary of Terms
The implementation of ESSA, the Every Student Succeeds Act, brings increased accountability for schools as they support their English learners, and the IDOE implemented the English Learner Plan last year to provide support to schools and districts as they meet federal requirements to identify, assess, and provide English language instruction for their English learners. All Indiana LEAs are required to submit the English Learner Plan annually, regardless of current EL enrollment. LEAs applying for Title III complete the English Learner Plan as part of their Title III application and so do not need to submit anything further to the IDOE.
IDOE English Learner Guidance - EL Student Populations and Other
- High School Credit and English Learners
- Cohort Status for Recently Arrived English Learners
- Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency - Visit our Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency page to learn more about this award for biliterate students, how to participate, approvable assessments, guidance and resource documents, and more.
- Coming summer 2019!
Additional Student Populations
Federal English Learner Guidance
- Office for Civil Rights ELL Guide
- Dear Colleague Lau Anniversary Guidance Jan 2015
- Identification of Discrimination and Denial of Services on the Basis of National Origin
- Policy Regarding the Treatment of National Origin Minority Students Who Are Limited English Proficient
- Policy Update on Schools' Obligations Toward National Origin Minority Students with Limited English Proficiency
- The Provision of an Equal Education Opportunity to Limited English Proficient Students