Welcome to Professional Learning and Resources. On this page you will find upcoming English Learner-focused professional development opportunities, as well as information on WIDA eLearning and EL Leadership meeting resources. If you are new to the English Learner world, visit our EL101 online modules where you will be able to get an overview of the basic components and requirements of an English Learner program.
See the calendar linked below for upcoming English Learner-focused professional development around Indiana. This calendar will be updated regularly with new opportunities such as IDOE-offered PD, conferences, webinars, and more as they arise.
All educators in Indiana have the opportunity to participate in six free, self-paced, on-demand eWorkshops developed by WIDA centered on a number of English learner topics. The following eWorkshops are currently available in the eLearning Center of the WIDA Secure Portal:
- Using the WIDA Writing Rubric
- Leading for Equity: Classroom Walkthrough
- Classroom Educators: Engaging Newcomer Multilingual Learners
- Language for Learning in Mathematics
- Doing and Talking STEM
- Foundational Concepts for K-12 Educators
For more information on how to get started, as well as information on eLearning Workshops planned for the 2020-2021 school year, see this flyer.
If you are seeking additional English Learner-focused professional development for your school or district, the following are in-person and virtual options…
- Wabash Valley Education Center: The WVEC provides English learner focused professional development throughout the year - including topics such as SIOP, classroom strategies, social-emotional learning, and more - in both in-person and webinar formats. Even if you are not a member of the WVEC Title III Consortium, you still have the opportunity to attend.
- Wisconsin Center for Education Products and Services (WCEPS): WCEPS is a partner with WIDA, provides multiple training options focused on the WIDA Standards Framework and K-12 ELs.”
- Center for Applied Linguistics: CAL provides in-person institutes as well as online training for the SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) model, academic language and literacy, newcomers, dual language programs, and more.
- Quality Teaching for English Learners (QTEL): OTEL offers foundational, disciplinary, coaching, and leadership institutes that develop educator expertise in designing, implementing, and monitoring all aspects of English Learner programs and instruction.
Thanks to all who were able to attend the virtual EL Directors’ Meetings this year. While it wasn’t quite the same as having everyone in the same room, we hope it was informative and beneficial. Meetings were recorded and selected portions have been added to the Moodle course for the meetings. All meeting videos, slides, and resources will remain there, and will be accessible throughout the year. Participants must first have a Moodle account, and can access the meetings course using these codes:
- New Directors: elnewdir2020
- All Directors: eldir2020
2019-2020 School Year
- EL Leadership Meeting Summer 2020
- EL Leadership Meeting April 2020
- EL Leadership Meeting February 2020
- EL Leadership Meeting December 2019
- EL Leadership Meeting December 2019 – Dual Language Presentation
- EL Leadership Meeting September 2019