Welcome to Professional Learning and Resources. On this page you will find upcoming English Learner-focused professional development opportunities, as well as useful resources from past PD. If you are new to the English Learner world, visit our EL101 online modules where you will be able to get an overview of the basic components and requirements of an English Learner program. If you are seeking additional professional learning and resources concerning the WIDA Standards Framework, visit the IDOE WIDA: English Language Development Standards and Assessment page and WIDA’s website.
See the calendar below for upcoming English Learner-focused professional development around Indiana. This calendar will be updated regularly with new opportunities such as IDOE-offered PD, conferences, webinars as they arise. NOTE: for information on IDOE’s Summer EL Professional Development Roadshow, see the next drop-down.
Last updated 07/16/2019
|WIDA ACCESS Speaking Test Webinar||WIDA presenters will provide an overview of the Speaking Test structure, tier placement process, task design, how student speaking responses are scored and how they differ by score point, as well as help educators gain a better understanding of what their students’ Speaking Test scores mean.||
July 23, 2019
Intended Audience: EL teachers, classroom teachers, administrators, test coordinators
Presenter: WIDA staff
Registration is not needed.
Log on to the webinar here
|12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. ET Online|
|2019 WIDA Annual Conference||
The WIDA Annual Conference is the premier event for educators of preK-12 multilingual learners, bringing together educators from around the globe to network, share best practices, and discover innovative classroom strategies. Educators from around the country submit session proposals, which are reviewed and selected by a panel of internal and external reviewers. Sessions examine research-based strategies and instructional practices on topics that align to the conference theme and are designed and delivered in an engaging format. This year’s conference them is Teaching for Equity in a Multilingual World.
October 15-18, 2019
|Early bird registration is open until May 31 and features a $150 discount. Register here.|
|Sessions all day|
|Rhode Island Convention Center, Providence, RI|
If you are seeking additional English Learner-focused professional development for your school or district, the following are in-person and virtual options…
- New Neighbors Education Center: This service center, located at IU Southeast in New Albany, will host a series of EL-related professional development opportunities throughout the school year for elementary and secondary educators and administrators.
- Wisconsin Center for Education Products and Services (WCEPS): WCEPS is a partner with WIDA, provides multiple training options focused on the WIDA Standards Framework and K-12 ELs.”
- Center for Applied Linguistics: CAL provides in-person institutes as well as online training for the SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) model, academic language and literacy, newcomers, dual language programs, and more.
- EL Portal: The EL Portal offers a number of online courses covering topics such as Early Literacy for ELs, EL Family and Community Engagement, Teaching Writing to ELs, and more.
- Quality Teaching for English Learners (QTEL): OTEL offers foundational, disciplinary, coaching, and leadership institutes that develop educator expertise in designing, implementing, and monitoring all aspects of English Learner programs and instruction.
IDOE will host the 2019-2020 English Learners Directors’ Meetings at MSD Lawrence Township Schools in Indianapolis, IN. The New EL Directors’ Meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 13, and the Annual EL Directors’ Meeting for new and returning EL directors will be held on Wednesday, August 14. Both meetings will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Register now and provide your input on the topics you hope to see on this year’s agenda.
Past Professional Learning and Resources
- IDOE EL Guidebook
- USED EL Toolkit
- English Learners and Title I, Part A
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition: This site details types of programs that have been recognized as educationally sound in the field for educating ELs, and includes a number of additional resources pertaining to EL programming.
- EL Leadership Meeting April 2018
- EL Leadership Meeting March 2018
- EL Leadership Meeting February 2018
- EL Leadership Meeting December 2018
- EL Leadership Meeting September 2017