Welcome to Professional Learning and Resources. On this page you will find upcoming English Learner-focused professional development opportunities, as well as information on WIDA eLearning and EL Leadership meeting resources. If you are new to the English Learner world, visit our EL101 online modules where you will be able to get an overview of the basic components and requirements of an English Learner program.
See the calendar linked below for upcoming English Learner-focused professional development around Indiana. This calendar will be updated regularly with new opportunities such as IDOE-offered PD, conferences, webinars, and more as they arise.
Starting Sept. 1 2019, educators in Indiana have the opportunity to participate in six, self-paced, on-demand eWorkshops developed by WIDA, a trusted name in the field of multilingual learner education and assessment. The following eWorkshops will be available in the eLearning Center of the WIDA Secure Portal:
- Using the WIDA Writing Rubric
- Leading for Equity: Classroom Walkthrough
- Classroom Educators: Engaging Newcomer Multilingual Learners
- Language for Learning in Mathematics
- Doing and Talking STEM
- Foundational Concepts for K-12 Educators
See this flyer for full eWorkshop descriptions and access!
If you are seeking additional English Learner-focused professional development for your school or district, the following are in-person and virtual options…
- Wabash Valley Education Center: The WVEC provides English learner focused professional development throughout the year - including topics such as SIOP, classroom strategies, social-emotional learning, and more - in both in-person and webinar formats. Even if you are not a member of the WVEC Title III Consortium, you still have the opportunity to attend.
- New Neighbors Education Center: This service center, located at IU Southeast in New Albany, will host a series of EL-related professional development opportunities throughout the school year for elementary and secondary educators and administrators.
- Wisconsin Center for Education Products and Services (WCEPS): WCEPS is a partner with WIDA, provides multiple training options focused on the WIDA Standards Framework and K-12 ELs.”
- Center for Applied Linguistics: CAL provides in-person institutes as well as online training for the SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) model, academic language and literacy, newcomers, dual language programs, and more.
- EL Portal: The EL Portal offers a number of online courses covering topics such as Early Literacy for ELs, EL Family and Community Engagement, Teaching Writing to ELs, and more.
- Quality Teaching for English Learners (QTEL): OTEL offers foundational, disciplinary, coaching, and leadership institutes that develop educator expertise in designing, implementing, and monitoring all aspects of English Learner programs and instruction.
Thanks to all who were able to attend the annual EL Directors’ Meetings this year, and a special thanks to MSD Lawrence Township for once again being such great hosts. Below are links to the Padlets for both days. Within the Padlets you fill find presentation slides, handouts from the day, links to resources, and more.
2019-2020 School Year
- EL Leadership Meeting February 2020
- EL Leadership Meeting December 2019
- EL Leadership Meeting December 2019 – Dual Language Presentation
- EL Leadership Meeting September 2019
2018-2019 School Year
- EL Leadership Meeting December 2018
- EL Leadership Meeting September 2018
- EL Leadership Meeting April 2019
- EL Leadership Meeting February 2019
2017-2018 School Year