The state education agency (SEA) must designate an ombudsman to monitor and enforce the requirements related to equitable services provided to non-public school children, teachers, and other educational personnel in non-public schools as outlined in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
[Sec. 117(a)(3)(B) and Sec.8501(a)(3)(B)]
The Ombudsman works in partnership with the Division of Title Grants and Support, a division of the Indiana Department of Education. The Title Grants and Support team serves as the lead in providing technical assistance to public and non-public school officials regarding equitable services. This ensures issues are resolved in a proactive manner which allows for nearly all issues to be resolved before an official complaint is needed. If issues still exist, complaints can then be filed with the Ombudsman to mediate a positive resolution.
IDOE Division of Title Grants and Support
- Provide technical expertise in interpreting, understanding and implementing accountability requirements for equitable services;
- Provide technical assistance to public and non-public school officials with consultations;
- Encourage non-public school officials to submit a Letter of Concern to the LEA when concerns arise;
- Provide initial assistance with any issue BEFORE an official complaint is submitted to the Ombudsman.
- The Ombudsman is to monitor and enforce the equitable service requirements under ESSA. This includes developing a process for receiving documentation of the agreed upon services from the LEA. The scope of the Ombudsman expands to include all programs that provide equitable services to non-public school students: Title I, Title II, Title III and Title IV;
- If there are still issues to be addressed after Title I Grants and Support assistance, complaints are filed to the Ombudsman regarding consultation and/or service provisions. Complaints are submitted on the Letter of Complaint to the Ombudsman, to Brenda Martz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Non-public School List 6-4-18
- 2017-2018 Non-Public School Allocations
- Introduction to Non-Public School Consultation
- LEA Affirmation of Non-Public School Consultation Forms
- Non-Public Equitable Services Guidance Document
- Equitable Services
- Non-Public School Complaint Process
- Letter of Concern to the LEA
- Letter of Complaint to the Ombudsman
- Summary of Federal Programs
- Timeline for Title I Consultation
- IDOE ESSA TI Equitable Share Calculator
- IDOE ESSA TII Equitable Share Calculator