Per Indiana Code 20-28-5-3(c), applicants applying for an initial teaching license (and at the time of conversion or renewal of any kind) must have successfully completed training in:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation that includes a test demonstration on a mannequin,
- Removing a foreign body causing an obstruction in an airway, and the Heimlich Maneuver;
- Beginning July 1, 2011, the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED); and
- Hold a valid certification in each of these procedures from either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association or other providers as approved by the department.
An initial teaching license is the first license issued to an applicant, regardless of content area or setting. Effective July 1, 2012, the requirements listed above must be met for the following initial license and permit renewals:
- Current Indiana educators must show proof of valid CPR/AED/Heimlich certification.
- In state program completers applying for initial licensure must show proof of valid CPR/AED/Heimlich certification.
Out of state applicants who are eligible for Original Instructional licensure based on legislation HEA 1005, effective July 1, 2016, may upload a promissory note to complete CPR/AED/Heimlich certification within one (1) year of receiving an Indiana license. This does not apply to applicants for Emergency Permits, Transition to Teaching Permits, Charter School Licenses, Career Specialist Permits, Workplace Specialist Licenses, Original Administrative Licenses, and Original School Services Licenses who must upload evidence of CPR/AED/Heimlich certification at the time of application.
- American CPR - C.A.R.E. Training
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- American Safety & Health Institute
- CPR Education
- CPR Solutions, Inc.
- Divers Alert Network--CPR Training
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute
- Emergency First Responders
- Emergency First Response Corp.
- Emergency Medical Classes
- EMS Safety Services
- Enjoy CPR
- Health Emergency & Lifecare Programs
- Indiana Safety and Health, Inc
- Kentuckiana CPR Training Network
- MEDIC First Aid
- MEDICORE Medical Services (Dublin, Ireland)
- ProTrainings (ProCPR) - Indiana only accepts ProTrainings blended CPR that includes in-person (not by webinar) hands-on skill practice/check off with a local instructor. Cards must be signed by both instructors.
- RESQ Health & Safety Training
- The National Safety Council