Posted: Fri, 03/24/2017 - 9:44am Updated: Fri, 03/31/2017 - 4:17pm

What is it?

The Career Specialist Permit is a permit for secondary content areas. It is a renewable, 2-year permit that allows an individual to teach a specific content area as long as the following requirements have been met.


  • A bachelor’s degree in a content area for which secondary licenses are issued with at least a 3.0/4.0 GPA;

  • Successful completion of the Indiana CORE content exam;

  • 6,000 verified clock hours of non-teaching occupational experience within the last five years related to the content area requested for licensure.(511 IAC 16-4-7).

  • Before renewing an initial permit, one must complete a pedagogy component. For questions regarding the pedagogy component, email Scott Bogan at

  • Subsequent renewals require a 40 point PGP.

Where can I apply?