To teach in an accredited school in Indiana, one must hold a valid Indiana License
Once a complete application has been received, a detailed evaluation of one’s credentials will be conducted to determine a) Indiana License eligibility and b) Any deficiencies to complete before receiving an Indiana teaching license. Once the evaluation is completed, a letter will be sent by email detailing the results of the evaluation. The results are valid for three years from the date on the evaluation letter. This letter is an important document and should be kept on file for future reference.
Payment/Costs involved for licensure
There are 2 fees associated with the applying for licensure: an Evaluation Fee and a License Application Fee. The initial payment of $35.00(plus handling and transaction fees) will be used for the credentials evaluation. This fee is $35.00). After the evaluation is completed, a second payment of $35.00 (plus handling and transaction fees) will be due. The Office of Educator Licensing will send notification when payment is due.
***It is important that all materials are submitted together; otherwise, applications are marked as “pending” until all missing materials have been submitted. This will prolong the application process time. Applications pending Missing Materials remain open for 90 days, after which, they are closed and the process begins again, including making payments.
- Copy of valid CPR card from IDOE approved provider, we do not accept on line only CPR courses, the hands-on component is a requirement. See website: CPR Heimlich Maneuver AED Certification
- Suicide Prevention Certificate. See website: Suicide Prevention Training
- An official "course-by-course" foreign credentials evaluation report, which translates your non-US coursework into US equivalents. This evaluation may be obtained from Educational Credential Evaluators, World Education Services, Trustforte Corporation or NACES members. Evaluations cannot be completed without this report.
- Pearson - Indiana requires relevant Pearson content and pedagogy tests for licensure. If you have taken Pearson tests, please submit your scores to our office for review. If you have not taken the Pearson tests, you may apply without them. If you need to take a test, the test numbers will be listed in your evaluation letter.
- Provide a copy of any professional educator’s license you have held or hold.
- An official letter verifying Instructional and/or Professional Education Experience. The letter is considered official if it is on school letterhead and signed by an administrator. The letter needs to include dates of employment; subjects and grades taught and/or positions held and must include both the type and status of school accreditation. It is only necessary for the Administrator from your last place of employment to verify all your experience.
Step-by-Step Instructions: Click Here
To save an uncompleted application, click “Save for Later” at the bottom of the page. When ready to access that application again, click “Application Status” on the right hand side and “Edit” the application that is “In Process”.