A Professional Growth Plan (PGP) is one method to renew a professional educator license. A PGP is the record of one’s professional growth/development. In addition to classroom responsibilities, educators attend conferences and workshops, participate in committee work and school improvement plans, as well as take coursework to remain current on educational reforms and trends. Many of these activities can be included in one’s PGP.
There are three (3) types of Professional Growth Plans.
- A 90 point PGP is required for the following
- Renewal of a five (5) or ten (10) year professional educator license.
- Renewal of a two (2) year (Initial Practitioner /IP) license for a 3rd time.
- A 40 point PGP is required for converting a two (2) year (Initial Practitioner /IP) license to a five (5) year (Practitioner/P) license.
- A 36 point PGP is required for Educational Interpreters. For information on a PGPEI, go to http://www.doe.in.gov/licensing/educational-interpreter-certificate-applicants.
PGP Points must be obtained since the issue date of the license being renewed. For the third (3rd) renewal of an IP (two year) license, the PGP points may be obtained since the issue date of the Original IP license.
Track your PGP through your LVIS account. For step-by-step instructions go to: https://www.doe.in.gov/licensing/current-indiana-educator-renew-license. Click the option that works best for your situation.
If you are working in an Indiana school, your PGP will be approved within your school district or LEA. If there are questions about what is acceptable for PGP points, contact the Principal or Superintendent.
If you are NOT working in an Indiana school, your PGP will be approved by the Office of Educator Effectiveness and Licensing (OEEL); therefore, you MUST upload official documentation for each entry in your LVIS account. If you have questions on what is acceptable for PGP approval, refer to the experience documentation below.
The PGP points shall be calculated with one (1) clock hour qualifying for one (1) PGP point based on, but not limited to, the following activities:
A signed letter from Principals, Superintendent and/or Human Resources may be used to verify PGP points. Your name and the number of PGP points/hours must be indicated on the verification documents. Your PGP will not be approved by the OEEL without the verification documents.
PGPs must be approved prior to beginning an application.
Professional Growth Plans for license renewal
- Initial Practitioner Licenses can be converted with 40 PGPs dating back to the date the first IP of the cycle was issued.
- Practitioner Licenses can be renewed with 90 PGPs earned dating back to the date the license being renewed was issued.
- Professional and Accomplished Practitioner Licenses can be renewed with 90 PGPs earned dating back to the date the license being renewed was issued but approved only within the last 5 years of the life of the license.
- Concern: If PGP points are submitted and approved within the first 5 years of the 10 year license, they will be expired and unavailable for license renewal.
- Solution: Submit PGP point for approval during the last 5 years of the 10 year license.
For step-by-step instructions,
- Go to www.doe.in.gov/licensing.
- Click on
- Select the option that best suits your needs.