Important Change Effective July 1, 2013
The following requirement does not apply to substitute teacher permit applicants or educational interpreter applications.
Effective July 1, 2013, the department may not issue an initial teaching license (includes instructional, student services and administrative licenses) at any grade level to an applicant for an initial teaching license unless the applicant shows evidence that the applicant has successfully completed education and training on the prevention of child suicide and the recognition of signs that a student may be considering suicide. This requirement does not apply to a completed license application submitted and paid for in the LVIS online application system prior to July 1, 2013 even though the license may not be processed by licensing advisors or OEEL staff until July 1, 2013 or after.
- Suicide Prevention and Response
- Indiana Suicide Prevention Coalition: Regional Leaders
- Click here to view evidence-based suicide prevention training opportunities and resources on the Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response, Division of Mental Health and Addiction website.
- Other information and training opportunities can be found at IPFW Behavioral Health and Family Studies Institute; Indiana Suicide Prevention Conference.
- Research based trainings to meet requirements set forth in IC 20-28-3-6
A few online Vendor's
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- At-Risk for PK-12 Educators Online Program
- A free training (including certification) offered by the Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide at SPTS.
- The Jason Foundation website
- “Youth in Crisis” at http://www.distance.purdue.edu/youthincrisis
If you have any questions regarding this information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.