This page provides resources to meet the requirements to complete education and training on the prevention of suicide in order to obtain an “Initial License”
The following requirement does not apply to substitute teacher permit applicants or educational interpreter applications.
Effective July 1, 2013, the department may not issue an initial teaching license (includes instructional, student services and administrative licenses) at any grade level to an applicant for an initial teaching license unless the applicant shows evidence that the applicant has successfully completed education and training on the prevention of child suicide and the recognition of signs that a student may be considering suicide.
- Suicide Prevention and Response
- Click here to view evidence-based suicide prevention training opportunities and resources on the Office of Emergency Preparedness and Response, Division of Mental Health and Addiction website.
- Other information and training opportunities can be found at Indiana Suicide Prevention Conference.
- Research based trainings to meet requirements set forth in IC 20-28-3-6 (This is separate from the requirement to complete suicide prevention training to obtain the initial teaching license.
A few online Vendors
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- At-Risk for PK-12 Educators Online Program
- A free training (including certification) offered by the Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide at SPTS.
- The Jason Foundation website
- “Youth in Crisis” at https://www.education.purdue.edu/teacher-preparation/licensure/suicide-p...
If you have any questions regarding this information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.